Seeking Hampden Pocketwatch Info

Thread: Seeking Hampden Pocketwatch Info

I was wondering if anyone happens to know anything about this particular model of Hampden pocketwatch? It's an heirloom piece that I would like to eventually have restored. Unfortunately, I don't know much about pocketwatches. Any advice/info is greatly appreciated:

Re: Seeking Hampden Pocketwatch Info

There's a separate forum for vintage and pocket watches...you might want to cross-post your inquiry over there. Beautiful detail on the dial, by the way.

Mike

The Collection: Too many to list
    The Wish List: Still too many to list
    The Grail: Bremont ALT1-P (blue dial)

I was wondering if anyone happens to know anything about this particular model of Hampden pocketwatch? It's an heirloom piece that I would like to eventually have restored. Unfortunately, I don't know much about pocketwatches. Any advice/info is greatly appreciated:

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mjbernier View Post
    There's a separate forum for vintage and pocket watches...you might want to cross-post your inquiry over there. Beautiful detail on the dial, by the way.

Mike
    Thanks, Mike. Somehow I missed that category first time around. I just placed this post in the correct forum. And thanks for the compliment on the dial -- this one has been in the family for quite sometime. Would love to have it ticking again soon.

Looks like the crown is missing.If you can take a photo of the movement we can ID that better.It looks like it has a screw back cover you just unscrew the back cover and there is the movement.
    Some how It was slow when posting so I hit the reply button and three repeat post so mods if you see this delete the other two.
    Last edited by river rat; March 31st, 2010 at 07:05.

Unless I'm very wrong, that was originally a hunter-case watch which has been recased in an open-faced case. The crown does indeed appear to be missing. The dial's not in the best condition, either.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Hampden serial number records are available so if you can get the number off the movement it can be IDd precisely. I agree that it's not in its original case, which would have been made by the Dueber watch case company.
    From the look of the Art Nouveau dial I would guess it dates from 1895-1905, but the serial number will tell the whole story.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

The Vintage folks are helpful, but they'll need a photo of the movement and the serial number from it to really ID the watch precisely.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

RiverRat's right, it's a screw-case with a threaded caseback. You can see that the cartouche doesn't line up perfectly with the bow at the top of the watch. Some gentle pressure and twisting in an anti-clockwise direction will get the caseback off.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Thread Information