Seeking Help - Vintage DOXA pre-WWII questions

Thread: Seeking Help - Vintage DOXA pre-WWII questions

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Seeking Help - Vintage DOXA pre-WWII questions

Hi Everyone,

First Time Post in hopes to get feedback on a couple things. My mom recently gave me a few belongings from her late father including this Doxa watch. He fought with the Polish Home Army in WWII, and my mother believes this watch is much older than that era. She thinks 1910-ish.

I've attached some pictures including the movement after I was able to pop off the case. It is Swiss Made, an Anti-Magnetique (as other vintage DOXAs I've seen). This watch hasn't been used in decades and believe it or not the movement still works, and accurate too for that matter! There is no serial number, just a number 3 on the inside of the back case with some design or face just above it.

-If anyone has any historical information specific to this watch please share?

-Any information regarding the movement?

-The clear cover is in poor shape including a crack at 5:00, can this be easily repaired?

-I need to get a strap/band. What do you guys think, black leather?

Thanks for any potential help. If I can restore this I would love to wear it from time to time, this is staying in the family. Ironically enough I just started to begin research on what will be my first "expensive" watch, and came across this forum just a week before my Mom handed down thie DOXA. I'm still looking to make a purchase soon but would love to have this watch in functioning condition as well.

Re: Seeking Help - Vintage DOXA pre-WWII questions

Looks like 1940s watch to me,and has no conection with army watches from that era.Its nice civilian watch.

For iding a movement,try this site:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke
    “Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings - always darker, emptier and simpler.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.portalsatova.com/forum/

I would think it is late 1930s to early 1940s. No shock protection on the balance suggests that it is not any newer than that. I has spring bars for holding the strap on the case...so not pre-1920. Also the case and dial are the wrong style for before about the mid-1930s.

Nice to have a family watch that you can use and pass down. BTW...If the watch has not run in many years don't run before getting it properly serviced. Bad things can happen.

Great looking watch....

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Just to add - a thin Black Calf strap will look really nice! Brown too.

In those pre-Communist days, Doxa's were very popular in that part of Europe. My father told me that a Doxa was many's dream watch!!

These vintage Doxas are tough to work with here in the U.S. Impossible to find parts or even watchmakers interested in them.
    I wish we had more resources here. I've been looking for a donor watch for one of mine for a long time.
    "My grail showed up today"

Quote Originally Posted by mrsnak View Post
    These vintage Doxas are tough to work with here in the U.S. Impossible to find parts or even watchmakers interested in them.
    I wish we had more resources here. I've been looking for a donor watch for one of mine for a long time.
    What do you need?
    My new sig -----

Over the years I've collected all sorts of movements and "project" watches ... mainly inexpensive vintage pieces.

These days I've widened my gaze to include modern pieces (including quartz with analog or analog + digital displays) but with those I'm generally looking for models in solid steel cases.

Long list, basically jewels and balance staff on an old movement. I can PM you if you have resources.
    "My grail showed up today"

Quote Originally Posted by mrsnak View Post
    Long list, basically jewels and balance staff on an old movement. I can PM you if you have resources.
    Cases and dials can be harder to find, but vintage Doxas used a variety of standard FEF and ETA movements. Many have lots of parts available.

Have you identified the movement?
    My new sig -----

Over the years I've collected all sorts of movements and "project" watches ... mainly inexpensive vintage pieces.

These days I've widened my gaze to include modern pieces (including quartz with analog or analog + digital displays) but with those I'm generally looking for models in solid steel cases.

Thanks for all the tips and replies.

BJohnson - will I have a hard time replacing the cracked glass/cover? That is my fear.

Quote Originally Posted by azaremba View Post
    Thanks for all the tips and replies.

BJohnson - will I have a hard time replacing the cracked glass/cover? That is my fear.
    It depends on what it is, but probably not. Most vintage Doxas I've seen have pretty standard crystals
    My new sig -----

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information