Hello to all. I'm new here and I am seeking information about a lovely pocket watch we've recently acquired. It is a large pocket watch with "Besancon" stamped on the face and it is additionally marked "Depose Argentan". It has a lovely floral motif. I am unable to find any information online specifically about these marks.
What I have determined:
- Besancon is a region in Europe with a watch-making industry that was backed by the government.
- depose means patent granted for exclusive jewelry design in France
- Argentan may refer to the metal the watch case is made of; a swiss silverine or nickleoid
What I'm hoping to learn:
- does "Besancon" refer to the watch maker?
- in what time period was it produced?
- any idea of value?
Here is a pic for your reference (and thanks so much for taking the time to help me! Happy New Year!):