Seeking info on Revue Thommen MSR T54
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Seeking info on Revue Thommen MSR T54

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Seeking info on Revue Thommen MSR T54

My Grandmother gave me one of my Grandfather's watches recently. From what i can gather it is a Revue Thommen with MSR T54 movement. While i enjoy watches I am hardly in the know about them and was looking for a bit of info on it. Before i go on here are some pics. (I know i stink as taking macro photos...)

It appears he used it quite a bit and i don't anticipate it being of great value to begin with but i think its a great looking watch IMO with sentimental value and i'd like to use it regularly.

I also found this.
    http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...&2uswk&MSR_T54

But i was hoping for more info on the watch itself.

I had intension to take it to a jeweler/watch place and have it cleaned up and have them buff some of the scratches out of the lenses if possible. Obviously i'd get a new band as well as the stretch band it came with is quite dingy and i'm not really a fan to begin with.

My questions are...

-Is the watch one that i should take it somewhere special to be cleaned up or am i safe with a local jewler?

-How much does having it cleaned up usually cost?

-Is this something i have to get someone to service or am i good to go?
    If so what does that usually entail/cost?

Hope this is in the right Forum... if not feel free to relocate!
    Thanks in advanced for all your help!
    Last edited by quickstreek; May 16th, 2011 at 05:25.
    busmatt likes this.

Re: Seeking info on Revue Thommen MSR T54

You're going to get a lot more information as folks start commenting.
    Overall, you should be able to take it to any reputable watch repair shop for a cleaning/servicing.
    I would personally avoid a jeweler as it seems there's a lot more overhead put into the cost.
    But if you do, make sure they have a technician on premises so you don't have to have it sent off somewhere else to be worked on.
    I've got more Converse sneakers than watches, but it is a close race.

RT used MSR for a number of skeleton watches. They even got MSR (who owned them I think) to build the last new design of a Swiss 17 jeweled winder in a skeleton form.

Usually an automatic watch needing no parts can be serviced for between $100 and $200. The links and articles section has a thread on how to find local watchmakers in the US. The NYC area has many. I would take this to a watchmaker or a jeweler with a resident watchmaker. Most jewelers just job out the work and mark it up something like 100% when it is returned.

I hope this helps.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

TheJohnP - Thanks for the heads up. Makes sense.

Eeeb - Thanks that was a ballpark i was looking for. Car dealers do the same for things like remote entry/ glass installation, etc. Charge you extra and subcontract it out. I have a friend who's parent's buisness is jewlery and watch repair. He said they do their own work. I'll give it to him for a look rather than hike into the city.

Any way that i could get an idea of how old or what model it is?

Value - Also i know value is a tough thing to judge but i'm just trying to see if it is worth taking to be cleaned up or if I should just take on the task myself. I don't intend on selling as sentimentally it worth something to me but if its $25 worth of watch i probably wont be spending $200 to cleaned/tuned up. I'll probably do it myself (well clean anyways).

Tuning - What does this usually entail and how do you know if it needs to be done? If i use the watch and it keeps time is it OK to just go with it or does not having it maintained cause it to be ruined with continued use (doesn't seem likely but thats why i ask). Ie not changing a car's oil in 30k miles = ruined.

Thanks again!

Every mechanical watch which is going to be used needs periodic service. It is necessary expense and is really not optional... like having to buy dog food for the pets! (But less frequent!)

Until you have confidence from experience, never service a watch you care about yourself. First efforts should be expended on expendable watches.

Dating... hard on this one. The dial looks like something from the 70's but these skeletons could have been made anytime since.

Value, hey, we don't do valuations here. There is a sticky post (stuck at the top) saying why.

But here is my Cricket Club and I only paid about $300 NOS with papers and box. (But I think that was a find...)
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Every mechanical watch which is going to be used needs periodic service. It is necessary expense and is really not optional... like having to buy dog food for the pets! (But less frequent!)

>>> Makes sense

Until you have confidence from experience, never service a watch you care about yourself. First efforts should be expended on expendable watches.

>>> Good advice. I'm probably not going to do anything but clean up the outside a bit myself. Nothing drastic.

Dating... hard on this one. The dial looks like something from the 70's but these skeletons could have been made anytime since.

>>> I emailed Grovana (who owns Revue now according to Wikipedia and the Revue website) with some pics in hopes that someone has been hanging around enough to recognize it. We'll see what comes of it.

Value, hey, we don't do valuations here. There is a sticky post (stuck at the top) saying why.

>>>Yeah i read that. Was more along the lines of the movie "Sand Lot" where they accidentally use the Babe Ruth signed baseball to play with because he didn't know what it was. Was just wondering if it was something standout but lack of info on it pretty much gave me context clues. Its not going anywhere either so it doesn't really matter.

But here is my Cricket Club and I only paid about $300 NOS with papers and box. (But I think that was a find...)

>>>Sharp looking, nice find.

Hi quickstreek,

here some informations about the MSR T54:
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: MSR T54

The page contains a link to download a service data sheet supplied by Revue Thommen.
    The movement was introduced in 1968, and is still produced today as GT54.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    bobbee likes this.

I need help immediately
    I have option to buy this look same watch (Design and characteristics 100% same).
    But I do not know what it's worth, how much to offer money for him (to offer the owner watch).
    Please experts to help me. Today we need an expert opinion.
    Grateful Philip
    Last edited by Philipcollector; August 17th, 2014 at 13:32.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

I am sorry but we can't help you on that one- there are too many factors involved. It might be worth several hundreds, it might be worth almost nothing. All depending on who is buying, who is selling, state of the watch, last service, case material.....

Hartmut Richter

I still got this watch. I did not pay him for the money, but changed. I am for him, gave watch Mido Ocean Star Powerwind. I hope I'm not wrong. Here's a picture of Revue watch and photograph Mido that I changed (photo of Mido is from Internet, but watch the same as my).
    Name:  Revue01.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  224.6 KBName:  Revue02.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  244.7 KBName:  Revue03b.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  235.4 KBName:  Revue04.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  229.6 KBName:  Revue05.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  207.0 KBName:  mido_1.jpg
Views: 648