Seeking info on Vintage Heuer Autavia
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Seeking info on Vintage Heuer Autavia

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    73

    Seeking info on Vintage Heuer Autavia

    Hello everyone. I recently acquired this vintage Heuer Autavia I would like to service and gift to a friend of mine who is a racing fan(atic).

    Any info is appreciated and any tips on servicing? I feel I can't prolly take this to my usual watch guy who does my Elgin, Hamilton, and Wittnauers as I've read Parts for this movement can be hard to come by. Am I gonna have to send it to Tag?

    Without further delay here are the pics (I can get a movement shot once it arrives).




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DragonDan likes this.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    987

    Re: Seeking info on Vintage Heuer Autavia

    Really hard to answer your question. What kind of service are you talking about? What condition is it currently in... is it running? If so then you shouldn't need movement parts. Can your watch guy overhaul chronographs? If he can, he should be able to work on this.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    73

    Re: Seeking info on Vintage Heuer Autavia

    Quote Originally Posted by RonD. View Post
    Really hard to answer your question. What kind of service are you talking about? What condition is it currently in... is it running? If so then you shouldn't need movement parts. Can your watch guy overhaul chronographs? If he can, he should be able to work on this.
    I'll find out the condition when it comes in. I got it off of the goodwill auction site and they only said is that it "ticks". It will need a new crystal for sure.

    I was just curious on the average entry level cost of vintage chronographs but I can see how that does not make sense. Only way to know is to bring it in.

    As for my guy. I'm sure he can but I read somewhere these can be costly for parts.

    I'm still a total noob to all this so I apologize if my questions are not as clear as they should be.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member Dan S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6,336

    Re: Seeking info on Vintage Heuer Autavia

    I'm not terribly familiar with this watch, but if it is a calibre 12 movement, it's true that they have a reputation as finicky, although not as bad as the calibre 11. However, perhaps you will be lucky and it will not need parts.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    73

    Re: Seeking info on Vintage Heuer Autavia

    Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    I'm not terribly familiar with this watch, but if it is a calibre 12 movement, it's true that they have a reputation as finicky, although not as bad as the calibre 11. However, perhaps you will be lucky and it will not need parts.
    It looks to be a a Heuer Viceroy model. $88 with a pack of smokes back in the day when the regular model was $200. What a time.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #6
    Member georges zaslavsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Croissy sur Seine, France
    Posts
    12,768

    Re: Seeking info on Vintage Heuer Autavia

    Auctions houses lie a lot about the real condition fo their watches.The cal 12 despite being not as finicky as was cal 11 is fragile and spare parts as well as a service on those aren't on the cheap side
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

  8. #7
    Member James A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3,904

    Re: Seeking info on Vintage Heuer Autavia

    Hi Atmke,

    What you have here is a classic early 70's watch. Indeed it was offered as part of the $88.00 Viceroy promotion. This model should be the Reference 11630 and will house the Cal 12 automatic movement. The beads of rice bracelet looks to be original to the watch and is a very nice pick up along with this classic watch.



    Google any of the reference points above and you should find lots to read about. Please post some more images once you have it.

    Regards,
    Last edited by James A; June 14th, 2017 at 12:16. Reason: add ad
    badbackdan and DragonDan like this.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    73

    Re: Seeking info on Vintage Heuer Autavia

    Quote Originally Posted by James A View Post
    Hi Atmke,

    What you have here is a classic early 70's watch. Indeed it was offered as part of the $88.00 Viceroy promotion. This model should be the Reference 11630 and will house the Cal 12 automatic movement. The beads of rice bracelet looks to be original to the watch and is a very nice pick up along with this classic watch.



    Google any of the reference points above and you should find lots to read about. Please post some more images once you have it.

    Regards,
    Thank you!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #9
    Member J.D.B.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,329

    Re: Seeking info on Vintage Heuer Autavia

    I gave mine to my local guy (who only works on "fine swiss movements"). While it wasn't cheap, he did a beautiful job. Worth every penny to have it in GWO. There's another guy in Utica, MI who specializes in vintage chronos: Constantine Sboukis of Chronometro. He's pretty well-reviewed here. I had him look at another watch for me and he was good and very responsive.
    Home
    Thank you, I'm flattered, but, please don't click any "Likes" for me (unless there's a prize for "most likes")?

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    73

    Re: Seeking info on Vintage Heuer Autavia

    Quote Originally Posted by J.D.B. View Post
    I gave mine to my local guy (who only works on "fine swiss movements"). While it wasn't cheap, he did a beautiful job. Worth every penny to have it in GWO. There's another guy in Utica, MI who specializes in vintage chronos: Constantine Sboukis of Chronometro. He's pretty well-reviewed here. I had him look at another watch for me and he was good and very responsive.
    Home
    He seems pretty reasonable for his prices on the surface. I'm in Wisconsin so I will reach out to him when it arrives. Thanks!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 5
      Last Post: August 27th, 2015, 02:21
    2. FS: Vintage HEUER Autavia Diver 100 (aka "Alpha Male Autavia")
      By ucsfgabe in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: June 10th, 2015, 18:00
    3. Replies: 0
      Last Post: April 27th, 2015, 15:34
    4. WTT: Interesting trade offer seeking Heuer Autavia GMT
      By siddhartha in forum WTT - Trade Corner
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: January 18th, 2010, 22:17

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •