Seeking Info on Vintage Pocket Watch
Like Tree10Likes
  • 5 Post By Wound_Tight
  • 2 Post By rickhufnagel7
  • 3 Post By Gumby992

Thread: Seeking Info on Vintage Pocket Watch

Seeking Info on Vintage Pocket Watch

Has anyone seen/heard of W.R. Haselwood? I have this old watch and can't seem to find anything in terms of manufacture. Only what is printed on dial and cut into the movement, which can be seen in the photos. I have pulled some old articles circa 1893 with this name in relation to jewelry, but nothing else. Any help is appreciated. 👍
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Seeking Info on Vintage Pocket Watch

its an illinois grade 174, made about 1907 according to pocketwatch database. 16 size.

The watch is a private label from the Illinois watch company. For a nominal fee, a jeweler or retailer could have their name placed on the dial, movement, or both.
    Last edited by rickhufnagel7; July 20th, 2019 at 06:26. Reason: added info
    Border-Reiver and SunnyOrange like this.
    I used to be an adventurer like you.....

A nice quality watch. Note that it is a "Getty" style movement named after the designer, Fred I. Getty. The main feature is the large ratchet wheel being the only winding wheel visible. The crown wheel arrangement is concealed under the barrel bridge which lends these movements a very distinctive look. Illinois made a fair variety of Getty movement models ranging from lower to higher jeweled and in various bridge designs and finishes. Illinois also made a heck of a lot of watches/movements for private labels and mail order sellers.

Here's a similar movement, a 1905 Model 5 Grade 184 with the same style of wavy damascening but with a 3-finger cock design, in an Illinois labelled watch I have. The dial styles are much the same, with distinctive gothic Illinois numerals.

Name:  illinois_getty_1905_dual1.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  262.6 KB
    Last edited by Gumby992; July 20th, 2019 at 14:39.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I appreciate the information. The crown needs repair, as I am unable to wind or set the time. The movement does work as I was able manually turn the ratchet. I look forward to getting it back to 100%. Cheers

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wound_Tight View Post
    I appreciate the information. The crown needs repair, as I am unable to wind or set the time. The movement does work as I was able manually turn the ratchet. I look forward to getting it back to 100%. Cheers

Are you aware this is a lever-set movement? You should be able to wind the watch with the crown (so something may well be amiss there), but to set the time you need to unscrew and remove the front bezel, pull out the small lever at the 1:30 position which engages the hand setting mechanism, set the time with the crown, push the lever back in and then replace the bezel.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby992 View Post
    Are you aware this is a lever-set movement? You should be able to wind the watch with the crown (so something may well be amiss there), but to set the time you need to unscrew and remove the front bezel, pull out the small lever at the 1:30 position which engages the hand setting mechanism, set the time with the crown, push the lever back in and then replace the bezel.
    I was not aware. I am ignorant with regards to pocket watches. Thank you though. I have the time set now however, I believe there is an issue with winding. The crown set the time perfectly but will not engage the ratchet. I will have a local watchmaker take a look at it.