Seeking Information on multiple vintage watches

Thread: Seeking Information on multiple vintage watches

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Seeking Information on multiple vintage watches

I am seeking information from my friends at WUS. I have Enicars of which the brown strap is a NOS winder, a bulova, a seiko and two excellent Nivadas. All are fine running watches. Anyhow I am looking to sell all of these soon and I am seeking as much information as I can get from this illustrious group. I do know the history of Enicar and the Cronoswiss connection. I am more interested in details about the respective watches that I can pass on to potential buyers. :thanks in advance for your help. Take care.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Seeking Information on multiple vintage watches

One can tell a lot more if the backs are off and we can see the movements...

Normally we do this for collectors, not vendors. Every one of your posts on WUS has involved selling your watches... Do we get a cut of the sales price?
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tcdel View Post
    I am seeking information from my friends at WUS. I have Enicars of which the brown strap is a NOS winder, a bulova, a seiko and two excellent Nivadas. All are fine running watches. Anyhow I am looking to sell all of these soon and I am seeking as much information as I can get from this illustrious group. I do know the history of Enicar and the Cronoswiss connection. I am more interested in details about the respective watches that I can pass on to potential buyers. :thanks in advance for your help. Take care.
    I can't help much. If the Enicar hand-winder is the one with the big (28/29mm?) movement, then I think it may have been one of the limited range of Swiss watches available in China in the 1960s, and was influential in the direction of Chinese watch design in the early 1970s. It's a fine watch with a great movement. BTW, is that a ZRC strap? I've got one just like it on my Beijing 40jewel auto.

The 2-crown Enicar looks vaguely familiar. It might have some interesting innovations in water-proofing IIRC.

The story of the Seiko auto chrono you probably know; how two Swiss consortiums battled furiously to debut the world's first automatic chronograph. Seiko didn't appear to be in the running, but after the song-and-dance Swiss debuts were done with, Seiko was right up with the front-runners when it came to actually getting the watches into shops. What makes the Seiko stand out from the others is the simplicity of its design; easy to build and much appreciated by watch repairers. The vertical clutch system has since been adopted by some of the most prestigious Swiss chronograph makers.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

They all look like 1960s/1970s style watches to me. Not much I can say about them that hasn't already been said.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

To answer EEB all my posts have been about selling as that is all of have time for and I am consumed by. I am a CPA and hospital finance director. My job keeps me away 12 hours a day so I do not have much free time. Also, I can only send email at night after I get home from work. No,I am a personal collector with a collection that has gotten way too big. I have a number of watches and 1:6 scale collectibles. I have sold one action figure on ebay and 3 watches on this site. I have been collecting for years but other then selling some items to a local watchmaker I am a novice to the sales arena. I waited to start until I thought I could do it right. My good guy feedback shows that I take pains in making the buyer feel good about the purchase. Anyway this post is more about starting a discussion then selling. I figured that since I needed photos to sell the watches it would be good to take part in a forum discussion too. In looking at the photos though it appears I need to retake them. The lighting detracts from the actual good looks of these watches. Two are virtually NOS and have only been worn to work a few times but the photos appear to be picking up things that are not there. Also I may go right to the bay with these watches.

Thank you chacomm Ray and EEB for your responses. To answer EEB I hate to open a watch if it does not need to be open, especially the enicars that have a bayonet style back. I do not know if I have the proper tools for the enicar. Anyway I will look to see if I have information from the people who I bought the watches from. I believe all of them came off the bay. Take care. TCDEL

I guess I could do you a fav and take that Sherpa of your hands, as a favor. LOL.

They are all actually very nice looking. I wont be picky. Any one will do.

Peace,
    Scott

To answer EEB all my posts have been about selling as that is all of have time for and I am consumed by. I am a CPA and hospital finance director. My job keeps me away 12 hours a day so I do not have much free time. Also, I can only send email at night after I get home from work. No,I am a personal collector with a collection that has gotten way too big. I have a number of watches and 1:6 scale collectibles. I have sold one action figure on ebay and 3 watches on this site. I have been collecting for years but other then selling some items to a local watchmaker I am a novice to the sales arena. I waited to start until I thought I could do it right. My good guy feedback shows that I take pains in making the buyer feel good about the purchase. Anyway this post is more about starting a discussion then selling. I figured that since I needed photos to sell the watches it would be good to take part in a forum discussion too. In looking at the photos though it appears I need to retake them. The lighting detracts from the actual good looks of these watches. Two are virtually NOS and have only been worn to work a few times but the photos appear to be picking up things that are not there. Also I may go right to the bay with these watches.

Thank you chacomm Ray and EEB for your responses. To answer EEB I hate to open a watch if it does not need to be open, especially the enicars that have a bayonet style back. I do not know if I have the proper tools for the enicar. Anyway I will look to see if I have information from the people who I bought the watches from. I believe all of them came off the bay. Take care. TCDEL
    See, that wasn't so hard! Now we all feel better about helping out

Good pictures are vital to selling watches. The photography forum has some suggestions. A light box makes it much easier to take semi-professional photos. The kinds of photos you see in watch catalogs are the result of a great deal of work and are not worth the effort if you are just selling one watch.

If you aim to make this a practice, you are going to have get comfortable about popping off casebacks. Most collectors won't pay much above an average price for a watch unless they can assess the movement. Plus, the movement tells you so much more about the watch than you can tell from looking at a dial -- it's kind of like seeing the attic and basement of a house you intend to buy

In general, flipping watches isn't a great way of making money. Considering the cost, risk, and value of your time, flipping isn't going to return as much as part time work for a firm that needs some extra help at tax time. It does make sense if you treat it as a hobby that gets you lots of different watches to wear for a short time. But I don't think that is where you are.

Good luck!

You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

EEB in reading my reply it appears I may have been a little misleading. I am only selling as my collection has become too big. I am not doing it as a side business. I am lucky enough though that in the overall I have made a slight gain over my original purchase. One of the reasons my collection is so large and diverse is that I use to mine ebay and look for good bargains. That is one of the reasons my collection is so large and why I have been able to make a slight profit on second sales. Also, I have only been selling off my best bargains and that is why I am ahead. I have a child starting college next year so I am selling trying to turn some of my assets into cash. I need to get on the stick as I am going back to school this fall to finish my MBA. There goes my remaining free time. :thanks for the camera advice and take care.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    See, that wasn't so hard! Now we all feel better about helping out

Good pictures are vital to selling watches. The photography forum has some suggestions. A light box makes it much easier to take semi-professional photos. The kinds of photos you see in watch catalogs are the result of a great deal of work and are not worth the effort if you are just selling one watch.

If you aim to make this a practice, you are going to have get comfortable about popping off casebacks. Most collectors won't pay much above an average price for a watch unless they can assess the movement. Plus, the movement tells you so much more about the watch than you can tell from looking at a dial -- it's kind of like seeing the attic and basement of a house you intend to buy

In general, flipping watches isn't a great way of making money. Considering the cost, risk, and value of your time, flipping isn't going to return as much as part time work for a firm that needs some extra help at tax time. It does make sense if you treat it as a hobby that gets you lots of different watches to wear for a short time. But I don't think that is where you are.

Good luck!

Scott: I have not come up with pricing yet, but when I do I will send you a private message and let you decide if you are still interested. :thanks for your reply.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujumon View Post
    I guess I could do you a fav and take that Sherpa of your hands, as a favor. LOL.

They are all actually very nice looking. I wont be picky. Any one will do.

Peace,
    Scott

EEB in reading my reply it appears I may have been a little misleading. I am only selling as my collection has become too big....
    I understand. This week I cataloged all the watches I harvested off the bAy in the last year... Yikes! Over 150... and darned if I can come up with a good rationale for some of them except they were major bargains... oh well... at least the wife hasn't figured out how to get online and read WUS. Otherwise this post would get me in MAJOR trouble!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information