Seeking information on this pocket watch...

Thread: Seeking information on this pocket watch...

Seeking information on this pocket watch...

Hello,

Newcomer to this forum, seeking any information(ie..age,value,worth repair, etc...) on a non-running Westclox "Pocket Ben" pocket watch I recently came across. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

regards,
    Mark A. (aka msa6712)
    Phx, Az.

Banned

Re: Seeking information on this pocket watch...

I am no expert, but the movement looks a little bit crude... Any personal connection to the watch? (Grandfathers etc?)
    So you start to realise that watches are more than Doxa, eh?

Thanks for posting. We don't do valuations here, please read our sticky notes for reasons why. Looks like something from the 1930s/1940s.
    These watches have low quality movements and in many cases aren't repairable. Certainly not worth spending anything on if it's not running.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the info...

My apologies to the mod's for the valuation question...I should've known better.
    As for the watch, it was in some personal effects of a family member's estate, but not my grandfather's...and none of my family members has any recollection of ever seeing it. I thought it was an older less expensively made "depression-era" dime store watch...but that was my initial impression and why I asked here for the "experts" response.

Thanks,
    ps...Yes, I do have something other than Doxa's and I'll probably be asking some more questions in the near future.
    Last edited by msa6712; May 21st, 2008 at 05:58.
    regards,
    Mark A. (aka msa6712)
    Phx, Az.

You have an American "dollar" watch made by the Westclox Division of General Time. Your watch was made in 1938 (the date is on the movement).

The so called "dollar" watches were made to last a year or two and then be discarded, it is almost impossible to repair them. They were made from stamped parts and came out of the clock industry and not the watch industry. Actually many more of these were made than jeweled watches. I think they were made into the early 70s and were killed off by cheap quartz watches.

Thank you for the informative responses...

It's much appreciated.
    regards,
    Mark A. (aka msa6712)
    Phx, Az.

Thread Information