Seeking thoughts in connection of a Vintage Omega

Thread: Seeking thoughts in connection of a Vintage Omega

Question Seeking thoughts in connection of a Vintage Omega

Hey guys,

would be glad if anyone could help me out on this one; I recently got offered this fine Omega, but from the pics I can't find any caliber (could this be a 26.5??) or reference number, nor on the movement neither on the case the serial numb. dates it around 1934, is this right? everything the seller knows is that it has a SS case, and it works fine...

any help would appreciated!!!

:thanks guys in advance!!

-Blaise-

Banned

Re: Seeking thoughts in connection of a Vintage Omega

Works fine? Does he mean like "it ticks" ?
    That movement need some TLC and servicing!
    If you look on the adjustment, you can see it is moved towards the R (Retard = Slow) It looks quite dirty to me.

The movement is very small! Interesting!
    Last edited by Janne; November 10th, 2008 at 15:42.

My references say around 1938 but no big difference actually. I'm not an Omega expert though. I'm sure Omega made this style of watch in the 1940s - maybe earlier.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    Works fine? Does he mean like "it ticks" ?
    That movement need some TLC and servicing!
    If you look on the adjustment, you can see it is moved towards the R (Retard = Slow) It looks quite dirty to me.
    Well Janne, I did see the position of the adjustment.As a matter of fact every time I purchase a watch it goes straight to my watchmaker for an overhaul. also, if the serial number is correct, it is quite an old watch and it does not come from a collection, rather was a flea market find (according the seller, who has a huge secondhand store) so its condition is acceptable I guess...

thanks for the input anyways!
    -Blaise-

Banned

The movement is very similar to a 26.5 movement. As I asked before, is the movement small, around 26mm?
    As said above, very similar, not 100% identical. That movement (26.5) was made from 1926 to 1939.
    In my search (mainly Ranff excellent pages) the lettering is different.
    The "Omega" on the movement looks old.
    So I guess closer to -26 than -39
    Last edited by Janne; November 10th, 2008 at 16:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    The movement is very similar to a 26.5 movement. As I said before, is the movement small, around 26mm?
    Since it was offered through e-mail I never held the watch in my hands, but seeing the pictures I think it should be around that measure. However when I checked Omega's Vintage Database I couldn't find any close results to this piece. I think the watch should be around 37-38mm, while the results were mostly smaller models.

I'll write the seller and ask him about the size of the watch and the movement. What disturbs me is that lack of the reference number from the case.
    -Blaise-

Banned

I would not worry about that. Check out the "ranff pages" (am I allowed to do this? Mod's: if not please delete!!)
    Check out www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&Omega_26_5_0

Looks almost the same, no? But look on the different styled lettering, to me it would indicate your movement is older than on that pic I referred you to!

We quote Dr. Ranfft here all the time and he even posts here so no worries.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Banned

Thanks, Ray, I was afraid I might infringe his rights as owner of the "pink pages".
    Some extensive library of movements he has assembled!!

I hope he does not mind if I PM him?

I agree, this looks like a pre-war Omega. But I doubt the watch is 38mm unless you are measuring from tip of lug to tip of lug. Typical watches in this era were 28-34 mm...

At first it was prestige to have a small watch because it was hard to make it small. Then they got bigger. And bigger. Now some are so big they are beginning to look like the owner is compensating for something...

(Someday I'm going to put a size 18 pocket watch in a plastic bag, tape it to my wrist, and post a pic on the dive forum as my latest bling diver! )
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Thread Information