Seeking watch information.

Thread: Seeking watch information.

Seeking watch information.

Hai everywun!! :D

My name is...Shangas. And I was referred to this rather interesting-looking forum by tbarry of watchtalkforums.com. I have wanted to buy a neat pocket watch for a long time. I had one as a child, but I broke it (children do stupid things).

Aaaaanyway. Fast forward about ten years. I'm a 21-year-old university-student with a historical brain. Today, that brain went to the local flea-market and procured this little treasure:

It cost me $40 second-hand at the flea-market. It's a 'CRAVEN', apparently Swiss-made, with a gunmetal case and gold (?) hands.

I am curious about it's age and it's size. Another source suggested it might be made in the 1920s, another suggested it might be a size-8 watch. I would like to know for sure.

For reference, the watch is 4.9cm across, and 6.5cm from the ring down (Measuring from the outside edges of the watch-case).

The watch, when bought today, was chainless, and I am endeavouring to buy a chain for it. First, it must be cleaned and polished. It works, it runs, winds and ticks...and keeps amazing time right off the bat. The only time I had to set it was when I bought it.

Re: Seeking watch information.

Thanks for posting and welcome.
    Looking at the dial I'd say around 1920 but...
    We would need to see a picture of the movement to give you any further information. You do have the front bezel and crystal for it, correct? It looks like it is missing in your photo.
    If it's a Swiss made watch it wouldn't be any kind of "S" size. That is an American/English system of measurement. It would be in lignes. The way you get the measurement is edge to edge on the movement behind the dial. Not easy.
    Do not run any vintage watch for anylenght of time without having it cleaned and lubricated. This only destroys the movement, even if the watch is keeping time.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Re: Seeking watch information.

Hi Ray,

Yeah, the crystal and bezel ARE on the watch, I know they look like they're not, but they are. I will get this thing to a watchmaker as soon as I can find a good one and have it overhauled. I didn't think it was necessary, but I suppose you never can tell. I'm a little hesitant about removing the back-plate to expose the movement, I don't want everything to come dropping out. And I'm worried I won't be able to put it back properly.

Estimates from other members on other watch-forums set the date around the 1920s.

Thread Information