Seiko - 1962

Thread: Seiko - 1962

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Member Docrwm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Metro Atlanta
    Posts
    8,555

    Picture Seiko - 1962

    I don't buy vintage watches very often. The only other purchase I have made was of my Bulova Concentric. A thread on Affordables got me thinking about birth year watches and what watch I would want. Was there one that represented anything significant in the world of watches that was new and available in 1962. I've been interested in Seiko lately, finding my fathers 30+ year old auto that burst into life when I picked it up after sitting idle for 20 years, buying a new Spirit 6R15, and some other factors.

    So, I was cruising the web the other night and found a Seiko Cal 290 Gyro Marvel that appeared to be in good shape. The price was fair so I bid on it. I won it somehow (no one else bid) and it is now incoming via EMS. It is the first magic lever system Seiko, was made in 1962, and to me represents the beginning of an era for Seiko in automatics since it was the first commercially viable auto from Seiko.


    The Cal 290 - Seiko Gyro Marvel entered production in 1959 at the SUWA Factory.


    -Robert
    Buy what you like, keep what you love, don't spend too much.
    As long as you follow those simple rules - you shouldn't listen to anyone about your watches.


  2. #2
    Member JohnF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Oberstedten, Germany
    Posts
    9,650

    Re: Seiko - 1962

    Hi -

    Wow!

    That's a Seiko in seriously collectible condition: congratulations!

    The name "Gyro-Marvel" was probably influenced by the Swiss company Girard Perregaux and it's "Gyromatic" movement which is basically from the same time period. Significantly different technology, of course, for the automatic movement itself. The calibre version you show above shows a nice finish.

    Very nice, I would have bid on that myself if I had seen it...good that I'm not looking much right now.

    JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる


  3. #3
    Member Docrwm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Metro Atlanta
    Posts
    8,555

    Re: Seiko - 1962

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    Hi -

    Wow!

    That's a Seiko in seriously collectible condition: congratulations!

    The name "Gyro-Marvel" was probably influenced by the Swiss company Girard Perregaux and it's "Gyromatic" movement which is basically from the same time period. Significantly different technology, of course, for the automatic movement itself. The calibre version you show above shows a nice finish.

    Very nice, I would have bid on that myself if I had seen it...good that I'm not looking much right now.

    JohnF
    John,

    Thanks. I appreciate the "Gyromatic" information too. Always want to learn more about the watches. I do not have the watch in my hands yet So, we shall see if it turns out to look as good as the photos

    I ran across it by following multiple related links and ending up in a Chinese-language auction The seller has a good reputation and his correspondence was quick and informative. I think that the Gyro Marvel is the pivotal Seiko in their early history for the status within the Automatic community. The Marvel broke more ground immediately for them but the Magic Lever System was of more enduring import and this is the first example commercially available. Now off to check the EMS tracking progress:-D
    -Robert
    Buy what you like, keep what you love, don't spend too much.
    As long as you follow those simple rules - you shouldn't listen to anyone about your watches.


  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member JohnF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Oberstedten, Germany
    Posts
    9,650

    Re: Seiko - 1962

    Hi -

    Very interesting! And I see you changed your avatar picture as well...

    JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる


  6. #5
    Member Docrwm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Metro Atlanta
    Posts
    8,555

    Re: Seiko - 1962

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    Hi -

    Very interesting! And I see you changed your avatar picture as well...

    JohnF
    John,

    I found the hang tag (which was apparently stamped metal) for the Gyro and liked it so much I thought I'd freshen-up my Avatar.

    I've read many commentaries about the magic lever system being a break through. Some have said things like - wow, its so simple when you see how it works it is amazing no one thought of it before? Seiko has been using it for nearly 50 years in their watches and the 7 series is probably the most widely distributed auto movement in history (my quess).
    -Robert
    Buy what you like, keep what you love, don't spend too much.
    As long as you follow those simple rules - you shouldn't listen to anyone about your watches.


  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,129

    Re: Seiko - 1962

    Very nice to sse this old Marvel!
    Would like to once find one of those, too!

    Cheers,

    Axel

  8. #7
    Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    17,145

    Re: Seiko - 1962

    Quote Originally Posted by Docrwm View Post
    John,

    I found the hang tag (which was apparently stamped metal) for the Gyro and liked it so much I thought I'd freshen-up my Avatar.

    I've read many commentaries about the magic lever system being a break through. Some have said things like - wow, its so simple when you see how it works it is amazing no one thought of it before? Seiko has been using it for nearly 50 years in their watches and the 7 series is probably the most widely distributed auto movement in history (my quess).
    Also the original 7 series from the 1970s has been copied by the Hangzhou watch factory as the basis for their extensive range of OEM movements (skeleton, multi-calendar, jump-hour, etc, etc) used by many of the current 'internet brands'.

    Possibly even more significantly, although Tianjin Sea-Gull's current generic base calibres (ST16, ST17) are modelled largely on a Miyota pattern, they have used the Magic Lever for the winding mechanism. These are thoroughly modern calibres, designed to get the best possible performance out of the simplest, most economical design. That surely is a testimony to the genius of Seiko's invention.

  9. #8
    Member Docrwm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Metro Atlanta
    Posts
    8,555

    Re: Seiko - 1962

    Quote Originally Posted by Chascomm View Post
    Also the original 7 series from the 1970s has been copied by the Hangzhou watch factory as the basis for their extensive range of OEM movements (skeleton, multi-calendar, jump-hour, etc, etc) used by many of the current 'internet brands'.

    Possibly even more significantly, although Tianjin Sea-Gull's current generic base calibres (ST16, ST17) are modelled largely on a Miyota pattern, they have used the Magic Lever for the winding mechanism. These are thoroughly modern calibres, designed to get the best possible performance out of the simplest, most economical design. That surely is a testimony to the genius of Seiko's invention.
    Thanks, always glad to learn more about watches. The Chinese are stealing the best aren't they?
    -Robert
    Buy what you like, keep what you love, don't spend too much.
    As long as you follow those simple rules - you shouldn't listen to anyone about your watches.


  10. #9
    Member quoll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    619

    Re: Seiko - 1962

    Have you got your hands on it yet Robert? That is one very nice and very collectible watch!

  11. #10
    Member Docrwm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Metro Atlanta
    Posts
    8,555

    Re: Seiko - 1962

    Quote Originally Posted by quoll View Post
    Have you got your hands on it yet Robert? That is one very nice and very collectible watch!
    Quoll,

    No, not yet. USPS has the tracking information that it "arrived in the United States at KENNEDY AMC at 7:09 PM on November 22, 2006. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later."
    Last edited by Docrwm; November 24th, 2006 at 01:30.
    -Robert
    Buy what you like, keep what you love, don't spend too much.
    As long as you follow those simple rules - you shouldn't listen to anyone about your watches.


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Thermocompensation: Methods and Movements
      By hedrick in forum High Accuracy Quartz watches
      Replies: 39
      Last Post: August 14th, 2018, 04:09
    2. Replies: 7
      Last Post: December 5th, 2008, 21:07
    3. @@@@@ ^^^^^^^^^^^ FS: Rare 1975 Seiko 600m AUTO (6159-7010) Tuna Can ^^^^^^^^^^@@@@@
      By huze24 in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: November 12th, 2006, 16:18

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •