Seiko 6138 3002 rust issues? w/ PICS

Thread: Seiko 6138 3002 rust issues? w/ PICS

Seiko 6138 3002 rust issues? w/ PICS

Hi everyone,
    Just picked up this Seiko 6138 3002. Overall, it looks to be in nice shape--all chrono hands reset correctly, buttons operate smoothly. The only issue I've noticed is some rust at the lugs and some (very small amount) between the crystal and the case.

I'm a watch (and vintage) novice, so not sure if this is grounds for concern... and especially if this is grounds for return--the rust spots were not mentioned in the original description. I really like the watch but don't want to be stuck with a lemon. Thanks for your opinions!

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Seiko 6138 3002 rust issues? w/ PICS

Are you sure that it is real rust and not just staining or muck that can be removed by a decent clean? In any case, the critical issue is the movement (and also the dial). If the two are squeaky clean, I would be inclined to accept some case damage - rust on a solid steel case is no worse than a scratch provided you don't let it get worse. Movement damage could write off this thing rather more quickly.....

Hartmut RIchter

Thanks for the reply! It doesn't show up clearly in the photo, but the stuff in the corner of the lug is definitely rust (it's red-tinged under light). Some of the other staining may just be regular ol' muck.

I don't have a case back remover tool yet, so will need to have a jeweler take a look at the movement I suppose. As you can see in the second photo, the back is stain free--don't see any evidence of rust around the perimeter of the case back, so I have somewhat high hopes that the movement will come out clean.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

looks fine for its age. either have it cleaned and serviced or-if its running well and you prefer to wait-clean it yourself with a purple coloured scotchbrite pad and some metal polish. It will shine it up like almost brand new in minutes w/o the risk of buffing off all the original edges. A little bit of corrosion on a watch this age is not unusual and suggests the seller did not try a 'quick and dirty' (ie: not very thorough) cleanup to entice buyers. I prefer this state to an improper cleaning. Its easy to clean the outside of a watch but you may want to have the movement checked for any signs of corrosion or lack of lubrication to ensure your new seiko runs for another 20yrs. good luck
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Thanks! Any recommendations for a quality metal polish? Also, any techniques for getting into small gaps (this case has quite a few nooks and crannies because of how it's constructed) without doing damage or having to take the watch apart?

wouldnt worry too much about it like others have said a good clean will do the trick. I normally use scotch pad and capecod. Dont forget the strap will hide most of that. Use a tooth brush with a bit of soapy water just enough to damp the brush, but dont soak the watch as it may not be water tight. I have even used brasso on some watches.

Thread Information