WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Seiko 7548-7000, can i fix it?

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Wibbs 
#1 ·
I got my hands on one of those, it's in reasonably good condition however it doesn't work - I can see visible damage to the coil, so there is a decent chance that's the problem i would think.

Question is, is a coil like that soldered or could i possibly replace it myself? And can one get a replacement coil at all?

Would love to get it running, really is just my cup of tea:)

#2 ·
You probably can't replace the coil, I guess you mean the hairspring. You need some fine levers to lift the collet and remove the hairspring and use a stakingset to fit a new one. You probably have more chance buying a donor movement with an ok balance and swap the whole balance complete.

Grtz Melvin

#5 ·
Hi Kasper,

That is a well known problem on these movements. The coil is close to the battery-clasp and while loosening the screw closest to the coil an easy slip of a screw driver will damage the coil.

The bad news is that the coil is now worthless. The good news is that you can buy a donor watch that is related to the 7548. You need a (cheap) Seiko 7546 and use its coil, which is exactly the same.

Good luck, 7548's are great divers!

Paul

#8 ·
The coil is close to the battery-clasp and while loosening the screw closest to the coil an easy slip of a screw driver will damage the coil.
Don't get me started on exposed coils on quartz movements. Vanishingly few don't have them exposed and it makes no good engineering sense why. Other than grime buildup and the quartz oscillator dying, this is about the biggest cause of quartz movements giving up the ghost. I've replaced a few in my time, including recently one in a Seiko as it happens. A friend of mine's ladies watch where it "suddenly died" after the last battery change. She was not a happy camper as it held significant sentimental value as it was a present from her mum. The goon who did the work claimed no part in its demise of course, but even a quick look with the unaided Mark 1 Human Eyeball(™) could see the near perfectly shaped screwdriver mark in the coil. Enter stage left; Me. "Oh you know watches right?" :) Took me a while to track down the right replacement movement funny enough. Should be fairly easy to track down a 7548 movement though. Nice watch Kasper, well worth bringing back to life. :)

#10 ·
That's what I though S and I had a few donor Seiko bits and bobs around the place, but in my case anyway, it was quite the specific part. Maybe that was an oddball mind you. I did notice very few showing up in the Bay, as whole watches, never mind movements/spares. With a Yema I have that had a Seiko movement(they ran the brand for a time), a replacement NOS movement came up within a week and I'd find another easily enough today. Hopefully the same can be said for Kasper's watch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.