WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Seikosha Kamikaze watch

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  watchyouwant 
#1 ·
Looking for info. I recently found out that an old watch my grandfather had brought back from WW II is a seikosha Kamikaze watch. I had no idea what it was so I brought it to my friend who is a watch maker/ repairman for breitling. He cleaned. It, opened it up and says the 17 j movement is in perfect condition. It runs like a top. Everything is original except for the besel which was broken when I found it. He replaced the besel with a thick plastic one that is similar to the original one. It has Japanese writing on the back. Just trying to figure out what I have here.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
By "besel," I assume you're referring to the "glass," going by the way you wrote your post. I believe it would have originally had a plastic crystal and so replacing it with another one also made of acrylic was indeed the right way to go. A bezel is the metal ring that holds the watch glass to the watch case body; in this example, it's done in a fluted edge style.

If you were to post a picture of the watch back here, then it's possible that one of the forum participants may be able to translate it for you.

My suspicion - given the perfect condition of the dial - is that this is a homage watch, rather than a period one. Have a look at this page, which has more information on it.

And take a look at this page, which has the following listing shown:

Text Product Watch Font Brand

#5 · (Edited)
I hear you. But looking at the examples with provenance on the internet, this dial looks a little too perfect. And due to their collectability, homage models do exist - also easy to find on the internet. But who knows? The OP says that his grandfather brought it back, so there is a distinct possibility that it is genuine. But the entire absence of any corrosion on the hands and the flawless lume suggests a more recent edition.

#11 · (Edited)
Collectors of vintage military watches like them left as found by polishing the case you lost considerable value these are rare and valuable watches if authentic. Post it at the MWR forum link below.
Main Forum
A vintage military watch collectors forum and some one there mite be able to tell you the value there. And a few collectors over there own a few of these.

#12 ·
looks pretty original to me. the numerals 3 & 6 & 9 & 12 had very thick Radium cover. as had the hands. looks like it was removed or never applied. looks like, the lower fixed lug has been remodelled and re welded. that could be the reason, it never saw any action..... write to seiko museum with the numbers and many pictures; i got mine authenticated by them. kind regards. achim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.