Seikosha WWII Chronograph pocket watch - need help
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Seikosha WWII Chronograph pocket watch - need help

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Seikosha WWII Chronograph pocket watch - need help

Hello, I need help with this Seikosha chronograph pocket watch. I bought it at a flea market recently and I'm looking for any information about it. I found the same watches as mine on the web but there is something that I cannot explain. Each of them has some writings and numbers on the back. Mine doesn't have it. But the rest including the case back inside looks completely the same, there are the same marks and that small writing SKS. What do you think about it? Can you tell me something more about it? Here are some pictures I made.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here you can see numbers on the movement.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Seikosha WWII Chronograph pocket watch - need help

Hi there,

Quote Originally Posted by ZIBI View Post
    ...Each of them has some writings and numbers on the back. Mine doesn't have it.
    Consider that some people are no soldiers, and in many societies civilians even represent the majority. Consequently most watches have no numbers on the back, and only get them if bought by an army or any other organization who wants to register its possession. Another reason for such numbers are sellers who "militarize" civilian watches to gain some cash from unexperienced buyers. So be happy with your missing number; a missing number can't be a fake number.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    busmatt likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The Imperial Army issued chronographs would normally have Japanese text engraved to the back with military marks. Yours has an anchor (and only on the inside cover) so naturally one would assume, if anything, it might have been used by their Navy. However without those markings unlikely, perhaps it might have been used by their Merchant Navy. I'm guessing SKS is an abbreviation for Seikosha. The watch probably dates from 1930 to mid 1940's and it looks like some kind of early Landeron movement. I'm sure some more familiar with those would be able to be more precise. In any case, I think the movement is Swiss. Japan did import Swiss movements at some point in time.
    busmatt and SunnyOrange like this.
    Nobody knows Everything, but Everybody knows Something!

Thank you very much for your responses. As for the movement I'm not sure but I've read somewhere that it is a modified Longines.
    busmatt likes this.

Thank you very much for your responses. As for the movement I'm not sure but I've read somewhere that it is a modified Longines.
    Hi,
    Definitely not a Longines. To me it seems more like a Valjoux 54 ébauche.

Hi.Valjoux is similar, but 1) they say that Seikosha used modified Longines cal. 18.72 at that time, 2) that Longines looks same as mine and 3) Longines 18.72 can be found in similar watches to mine.

Look here: https://uhrforum.de/threads/seikosha...ph-ww2.375991/

And here:
    https://www.sellingantiques.co.uk/59...a-circa-1942/#

It is not longines 18.72, have you seen how longines 18.72 looks like?
    Chaos is my focus

Hi.Valjoux is similar, but 1) they say that Seikosha used modified Longines cal. 18.72 at that time, 2) that Longines looks same as mine and 3) Longines 18.72 can be found in similar watches to mine.

Look here: https://uhrforum.de/threads/seikosha...ph-ww2.375991/

And here:
    https://www.sellingantiques.co.uk/59...a-circa-1942/#
    Both links you show stated they copied and modified the Longines, didn't they?
    Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

Hi there,

Quote Originally Posted by tinknocker View Post
    Both links you show stated they copied and modified the Longines, didn't they?
    They did, but this means not that it's true. One post is the claim of a seller, and Longines gains more cash than Valjoux. The second is likely an unproven copy of an unproven copy of an unproven.....

Anyway, being a slightly modified Valjoux 54 is not really fatal. Quite the contrary, if you ever need spare parts, the Valjoux origin is a huge advantage.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    tinknocker likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information