Selling a vintage watch - where & how? Share your experiences...
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Selling a vintage watch - where & how? Share your experiences...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Selling a vintage watch - where & how? Share your experiences...

Hi,

Just wanted to hear some personal experiences about selling a vintage watch.

What would you consider a best place to sell vintage watch? ebay, online sites, watch fairs?

Thanks & look forward to your thoughts!!

Re: Selling a vintage watch - where & how? Share your experiences...

Quote Originally Posted by yourronny79 View Post
    Hi,

Just wanted to hear some personal experiences about selling a vintage watch.

What would you consider a best place to sell vintage watch? ebay, online sites, watch fairs?

Thanks & look forward to your thoughts!!
    Generally eBay is king as the breadth of its coverage is not matched. If the watch has a very specific appeal to a very specific audience, then the appropriate fair might be best. Very rare and valuable watches are often best sold through auction houses.

Good pics. Good description. Good seller reputation all serve to move the watch to the 'correct' price point.

But this is all second hand information. I have never sold a watch. I have just given them away if it seemed appropriate.
    Last edited by Eeeb; November 29th, 2012 at 15:42.
    Border-Reiver likes this.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

I've sold plenty of watches on the great online flea market, without issues. You do have to do your research to see what your watch 'should' sell for and price it accordingly. I generally put it at a lower starting point to increase interest. Good, clear, in focus photos will absolutely increase your selling price.
    You can also gauge your exact selling point and post it on this forum's fine Sales Pages. I've bought several watches from our fellow forum-goers.
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I agree, good pics are the number one seller of a watch for top dollar.

Sparcster, a prolific 'flipper' who posts on here sometimes, could buy a watch off ebay, spend 5 mins polishing
    the crystal and then taking brilliant pics of the watch he would double his money on ebay selling the very same watch a week or
    two later.
    Me, I'm like Eeeb, never sold a watch but have also given them away.
    Sparcster likes this.

I have sold a few watches over the years on what I think is the best forum for it. That is the great auction in cyberspace. Not that I dont have issues with them, but that is another story. primarily its their vast audience with very different and wide ranging interests, thats so attractive. I usually sell watches I have lost interest in, or for a definite quick sale. Im usually very reasonable as well. Particularly those Ive lost interest in. The best part of all is that I made a watch pal through a sale to a far away place. Nice to see another cultures attitude toward different watches. You know who your are. Anyway, back to business, Ive always sold the watches Ive put up there. And an important note, Ive always sold as BUY IT NOW. Good luck with your sales, however you decide to sell. P&P .

Quote Originally Posted by radger View Post

Sparcster, a prolific 'flipper' who posts on here sometimes...
    Obviously missed this first time around.... I dont think Ive ever been called a 'prolific flipper' before.... lol

At the height of my buying to sell (Flipping), which was to fund my buying of 'keepers', I had to start keeping a record of what i was buying... This meant an A4 pad, 33 watches per page, 6+ full pages of watches.... from May 2010 to June 2011.... and that was the watches I remembered to record....

I certainly dont get through as many watches now... and more and more appear to be keepers... It was certainly a good learning experience!!
    radger likes this.
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Great response from the prolific flipper. 10 years ago I knew nothing about watches. I picked up a 1 dollar beat up watch at a garage sale as it said swiss made. I wore that watch up until last year and sold it on Ebay for $1100. It was an original Glycine Airman SST. I polished it up and had it properly serviced during my ownership. That watch taught me more than any other. I have flipped at least 50 other watches just as described by the folks above, look for bad listings with bad pictures of great watches. It is hugely time consuming but you will learn everything you want to know about watches. I have gone out of my way to remove the crap from the market instead of reselling. All the time my goal has been to fund improving my collection of keepers. Sparcster's comment about more and more appear to be keepers I would attribute to his knowledge and ability to target the true hidden jewels.

1. Great Pics.
    2. Proper Title (needs to include what is important about the watch)
    3. Ebay is the best audience you can find for watches, but it will cost you 11% to 12%, you can still make up some of that on shipping/handling altough they are making that more difficult. State your fees clearly. Reputation is everything. While learning, I bought crap, absolute garbage, that the seller would hint it was something it wasn't, I never complained, always said great transaction, not wanting to risk my reputation. This one point is a key flaw with the ebay model.
    4. Sounds simple, put it in the right category and check your spelling... A "Tag Heuer" will sell for much more than a "Tag Huer". And yes I did buy quite a few misspelled items including a Ladies Amega for $6. It was clearly an Omega. All my secrets are out.

Dan
    DragonDan likes this.

I agree with most of that Dan.

The fees on EBay are a killer... Quidco used to be great, getting back 4% on purchases... Does not sound much, but when you are buying 20+ watches a month, it soon added up. Quidco does not include EBay anymore.

I did buy a few duds... But I would always complain - if needed! When selling, I never leave feedback until I receive it.

Looking for bargains takes time... And that's down to poorly listed watches being hard to find!

I have a page of saved searches which helps... And in a lunch break can scan through a days worth of newly listed watches.

As I say above, it's a great experience... You handle lots of watches, research them (ask stupid questions on here) and learn loads! It also introduces one to many styles/types of watch... Which has introduced me into 2 of my collecting fields - trench and military watches.

Each day there are watches that can be bought and sold for profit with no work (not to Dan' profit levels), If you can be bothered to look.

The Glycine was by FAR my best hit and I knew nothing. I do way better with watches from garage sales that I take to ebay than doing the ebay to ebay thing. I always ask people having garage sales if they have any vintage watches(or cameras). Most say no, but 10% or so will go run inside and come out with something. For them it has usually been sitting for 20 years, so they are happy to take anything. One other thing I forgot to mention is to set yourself up with 2 accounts on ebay, Buy from one, sell from the other, to keep folks from seeing your flipping tendencies, as nobody wants to pay $200 for the watch you bought 2 weeks ago for $40. Now all my secrets are really out.

Dan

And let's not forget Ranfft's BidFun page as a selling option.
    I'll admit that I've neither bought/sold from there, but have checked it out from time to time.
    I've got more Converse sneakers than watches, but it is a close race.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information