Semca "Military" watch
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dan S

Thread: Semca "Military" watch

Banned

Semca "Military" watch

Just picked up this Semca watch at a local antique market for $35. Despite its worth, I'd like to think I hardly overpaid. But I'm assuming it's not worth much. I'm pretty savey with Google and doing some research on the internet, but I can't find much information on this brand and watch they're all about. There are no serial or model numbers in the watch. And I have yet to open it. But it's a 17 jewel manual wind watch. And it's condition is very good for what appears to be a 1940-50's style watch.

Who can give me any information on it? Don't care what it's worth (though I'd like to know whether it's $10 or $1000). It was inexpensive so I doubt it's worth much, but I think it looks excellent.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Semca "Military" watch

Can't go wrong for $35 for a watch that you like. Below is the Mikrolisk entry. Given the uneven-ness of the font, I would guess that the dial has been refinished at some point. Other than that, more photos would be helpful.

Semca (in Raute) Semca Co. / SolomonKaufman Kleinuhren, Großuhren; New York, USA; registriert am 1.7.1938
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Quote Originally Posted by EvoRich View Post
    Just picked up this Semca watch at a local antique market for $35. Despite its worth, I'd like to think I hardly overpaid. But I'm assuming it's not worth much. I'm pretty savey with Google and doing some research on the internet, but I can't find much information on this brand and watch they're all about. There are no serial or model numbers in the watch. And I have yet to open it. But it's a 17 jewel manual wind watch. And it's condition is very good for what appears to be a 1940-50's style watch.

Who can give me any information on it? Don't care what it's worth (though I'd like to know whether it's $10 or $1000). It was inexpensive so I doubt it's worth much, but I think it looks excellent.
    Well, perhaps nearer your first estimate as there's a non-working (and missing its caseback) one on the 'bay for a BiN price of $9.99. Not unlike yours apart from the condition, but with a sweep seconds as opposed to your sub.

Hope this may be of some help.

Regards.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by balaton View Post
    Well, perhaps nearer your first estimate as there's a non-working (and missing its caseback) one on the 'bay for a BiN price of $9.99. Not unlike yours apart from the condition, but with a sweep seconds as opposed to your sub.

Hope this may be of some help.

Regards.
    Haha I absolutely know it's not worth $1000 (seeing as though a WWII era Tissot in the same style only sells for $200-300). That was sarcasm at best haha. But I figured something like this is decent working condition would be worth more than $35. Not looking to sell it. Just looking to know I got a good deal. Plus just want to know more about the brand. With how crazy the vintage watch market is these days, and having paid some ridiculous prices myself (and see them keep inflating), I just assume anything vintage in good condition is worth a small fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by EvoRich View Post
    Haha I absolutely know it's not worth $1000 (seeing as though a WWII era Tissot in the same style only sells for $200-300). That was sarcasm at best haha. But I figured something like this is decent working condition would be worth more than $35. Not looking to sell it. Just looking to know I got a good deal. Plus just want to know more about the brand. With how crazy the vintage watch market is these days, and having paid some ridiculous prices myself (and see them keep inflating), I just assume anything vintage in good condition is worth a small fortune.
    I wish!

We don't know if it's solid SS or plated base metal. We don't know the size of the watch. We don't know what movement is inside. How in the world can you ask us to give you a value estimate? This forum doesn't provide valuations, please read the "sticky" thread to understand the reasons. So I'm surprised that someone with nearly 1,400 posts would continue to ask for more information about the watch, and insist on getting a valuation, without doing even the bare minimum to help us out by providing good photos and measurements, etc.

I know you want to feel good about your purchase, but most old watches have negligible value. Only desirable vintage watches in good original condition are worth a small fortune. If you like it, enjoy it.
    Border-Reiver likes this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    We don't know if it's solid SS or plated base metal. We don't know the size of the watch. We don't know what movement is inside. How in the world can you ask us to give you a value estimate? This forum doesn't provide valuations, please read the "sticky" thread to understand the reasons. So I'm surprised that someone with nearly 1,400 posts would continue to ask for more information about the watch, and insist on getting a valuation, without doing even the bare minimum to help us out by providing good photos and measurements, etc.

I know you want to feel good about your purchase, but most old watches have negligible value. Only desirable vintage watches in good original condition are worth a small fortune. If you like it, enjoy it.
    I appreciate your help. If I have any further question, I'll PM you :)

Semca is better known as a Clock company. It looks like they dabbled in watches for a short time. Here's my Semca.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information