Semi-quickset Date Function Question
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Semi-quickset Date Function Question

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Semi-quickset Date Function Question

I'm not new to watch collecting, but I'm new to vintage watches. I've seen a few vintage watches described as, "semi-quickset date" watches.

I know how a quickset date function works, but I always assumed that older watches without a quickset date function, needed to have their dates set by rolling forward in full 24 hour increments - a painful-sounding operation that kept me from buying one

I think I read somewhere that watches with a semi-quickset date function can be set by advancing the time through 12:00 midnight, then rolling the time back to say 9:00 PM, then advancing again to change the date, thus allowing one to set the date quicker than advancing in full 24 hour increments. Is this true, or am I totally off the mark?

Any info much appreciated.

Re: Semi-quickset Date Function Question

You are correct.

Entirely.

besides the advance reatreat there is another semi-quik date setting common to some late 60s omegas and a few others. It s push-pull set. Its faster than the advnce/retreat but not as fast as direct date-set because you can advance pretty quickly by pushing fast but you can't go backwards-the true quik-set is direct where the 2nd or 3rd crown pos. turns the date back or forwards.
    busmatt likes this.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the responses. I just ordered a watch with that feature. I can't wait to try it out.

Yup. If the watch has both day and date, usually the day has to be set by doing the full 24hr thing. On some watches, going past midnight and back to 9:00 will quick set the day, and going back to 6 will quickset both the day and date.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Hi MichaelG,

for most calibres it is decscribed in my archive how to set day, date etc:
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements

If nothing is written, you either have to advance 24h to increment (or decrement)
    day or date, or (scarcelier) it is unknown because the calibre is too rare.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    busmatt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelG View Post
    I'm not new to watch collecting, but I'm new to vintage watches. I've seen a few vintage watches described as, "semi-quickset date" watches.

I know how a quickset date function works, but I always assumed that older watches without a quickset date function, needed to have their dates set by rolling forward in full 24 hour increments - a painful-sounding operation that kept me from buying one

I think I read somewhere that watches with a semi-quickset date function can be set by advancing the time through 12:00 midnight, then rolling the time back to say 9:00 PM, then advancing again to change the date, thus allowing one to set the date quicker than advancing in full 24 hour increments. Is this true, or am I totally off the mark?

Any info much appreciated.
    You're right.

Actually, I own several modern watches with similar movements.

Vostok movements to be exact

On those, one have to go back to ~8:30, then pass midnight, and so on…

The YEMA I'm wearing today has the same semi quickset device, but another model has an almost quickset date : the minute hand just needs to get back before '45min', then pass midnight, and it's good it's much, much faster.

This is the said watch :
    busmatt likes this.
    My YouTube channel | My ImageShack gallery

MY COLLECTION :
    Swiss : FAVRE LEUBA | FORTIS | GIRARD-PERREGAUX | JAQUET+GIRARD | LONGINES | OMEGA | TISSOT | TITUS | ZENITH
    Japanese : CASIO | CITIZEN | ORIENT | SEIKO
    Russian : POLJOT | RAKETA | SLAVA | STURMANSKIE | VOSTOK | VOSTOK EUROPE | ZVEZDA
    French : AVYSTYLE | HERMA | LIP | YEMA | YONGER & BRESSON
    German : AEROMATIC | GLASHÜTTE | TAUCHMEISTER
    Chinese : ALPHA | ARMIDA | BEIJING | FINËAT | JARAGAR | KASSAW | OHSEN | PARNIS | SANGDO | SEKARO | SMAEL | STEWAL | WINNER

I received the watch - it has a manual wind Unitas from the early/mid 60s. The semi-quickset date feature works fine. I can advance the date by turning then hands back past midnight to 9:00 PM, then forward again to advance the date.

I just got a Longines Hydroconquest with this feature and had to change the date for the first time to account for Leap Year. And I was afraid my movement was broken when the hour jumped but not the date. Turns out, this is normal, and now I've learned about a new type of movement. Seems quite useful for traveling, so it looks like this will be one of my travel watches now. :)

The seiko 3302A electric quicksets by pushing the crown in
    busmatt likes this.
    Stratocasters Rock!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information