Serious Question: How to enter yout PHOTOS as more than a Thumbnail ????

Thread: Serious Question: How to enter yout PHOTOS as more than a Thumbnail ????

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Serious Question: How to enter yout PHOTOS as more than a Thumbnail ????

Hello all and help please. Im beginning to take fairly decent photographs of my watches. Just barely. When I get one I really like or a series, Id like to integrate them into my post as Ive seen done a hundred and two times and more. All Im able to do is post a thumbnail. What is the technical process via computer and WUS to do what I just asked. Am I being clear? Bigger and so that I can point out certain things in a particular photo, etc. Thanks very much in advance.I hope for not too technical responses, otherwise.......The way to do it may be right in front of my face but I aint seein it.

Re: Serious Question: How to enter yout PHOTOS as more than a Thumbnail ????

+1 Sorry I don't know but I'd also like to know the answer please

Re: Serious Question: How to enter yout PHOTOS as more than a Thumbnail ????

When you click on the Image icon (which kind of looks like a stretched window) you now get a screen with two options:

The first one is add an image from your computer, and you just browse to the file and load it. What you get it this---
    Name:  369019015_tp.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  15.5 KB
    It is an inserted 'thumbnail' pic that has been resized down. If you click on this thumbnail, you will get a lager pic displayed in a window. But I believe there is a maximum window size so photos larger than that are resized down to fit in the window.

The image icon also allows download from a URL... like this:

This is a photo stored on photobucket. I REMOVED THE CHECKMARK FROM 'Retrieve the romote file and reference locally'. This just inserts the photo inline like it always used to be. I do not believe this is resized by WUS.

But if the file is removed from the remote photo server, it also disappears from the post into which it had been inserted. To prevent this from happening, you can tick the checkbox and it will be 'attached' to the post instead of referenced via URL -- like this:

Name:  CALIBRE_1887_DNAweb.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  39.3 KB

This also produces a thumbnail which can be clicked to produce a pop up window. In this window is the image again resized to fit the image.

The only way to post full pics is the middle method (from a URL with no local reference) as in this:

I might point out this 'feature' of the new version of the forum software is being actively discussed in the Mod forum. So improvements are possible.

I hope that helps.
    Last edited by Eeeb; December 9th, 2010 at 04:43. Reason: clarification
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

As a (relative) oldtimer and a qualified industrial designer..

.. I must say that I find all this a bit confusing. The old method was quite straightforward (relative again, I suppose ) . I do wonder what value is added by this more elaborate method.

Aditya
    Last edited by aditya; December 7th, 2010 at 19:10.

Re: As a (relative) oldtimer and a qualified industrial designer..

Unfortunately, it appears that WUS is now resizing larger images to only 800 pixels wide.
    Regards from Sunny San Diego..........Tom

I was also a bit confused when this feature changed, but I think the best bet is to create and then add to albums that are hosted right here on WUS. Once you make an album, you can upload new images to it and when you want to post a particular one into a post just go to the album, click on the image you want and down below it gives you a line a of code which is a pre-tagged url that you can copy and paste into your post. Use the advanced item to preview the post as it will appear to check everything is okay. You do have to conform to sizing limitations so don't try to post a full 12MP un-resized photo. The 800 pixel limitation seems adequate. If you want super high res pics to be available, use the Photobucket or similar external hosting site process.

Very much agree with forgoing. The present system occasionaly will not reproduce my maybe corrupted photo and takes minutes before I know it but I really like it for its eaSY operation and storage. I would like to be able to visit any agreeable members photo file. Would that be arrangeable? I now have about 300. I would not mind anybody looking or copying.

AS A RELATIVE NEWCOMER I AM :
    Still confused, I confess. Wassil seems to be clear and talks in terminology I think I understand. However I am no computer whiz either and that terminology can also
    confuse me. Ill whip you up the best Hollandaise, Bearnaise, Albert, Mayonnaise, Robert, Sauce youve ever had. Thai, Indian, Mexican Haute Cuisine, Peasant cuisine, No problem, but...........Computers are a sharp learning curve for me. I need very simple terminology in order to follow the instructions. That said, I appreciate your efforts, but still a bit ...But Ill try some of these instructions, and see where it gets me.

Here is my pictorial tutorial

step 1:
    upload your pictures to a image hosting server like photobucket, Flickr,etc. You can also use your Hotmail and Picasa from Google accounts to upload photos. I use my Hotmail account to upload photos.

step 2: move the blinking cursor to where you want the image and click on the insert image button. An add image box pops up and click on the from URL tab and uncheck the Retrieve remote file and reference locally checkbox.

step 3:
    Keep what you did in step 2 up and either open up another tab or window in you browser and go to where your image was uploaded in step 1.copy the URL of the image that you uploaded. In Mozilla Firefox browser you can right click on the image and choose Copy Image Location. In Internet Explorer you have to copy the URL from the URL box at the top of the browser by highlighting the url (usually clicking once on the url will highlight it all) an right-click and copy.

step 4:
    Go back to the the tab or window in you browser from step 2 and paste the URL in the text box that says URL by right-clicking in the box and selecting paste.

Rinse and repeat. I upload my pictures all at once in step 1 and just repeat steps 2 through 4 as needed. This instructional pictorial tutorial makes it look seem more complicated than it really is.

ramdom big pic
    I'm a watchbreaker not a watchmaker.

That's fantastic. Thanks for taking the time to do this. Could you also post this in 'Links and articles' with a title like 'How to insert pictures'? It will be very useful.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information