service time

Thread: service time

service time

Hello all. Since I'm pretty new at buying vintage watches I wanted to ask you what is considered an average amount of time to get a watch serviced ? or possibly a small repair of some type? I know that's a pretty broad question but just wondering what you guys think. Also is there a point at which you wouldn't spend money to get a watch serviced? Say the cleaning costs more than the watch is worth? Thanks Mike

Re: service time

I depends on who you are and what the watch means to you. If you like a watch then value doesn't really come into it and if you are a collector and the watch isn't going to be used then you have it serviced and fixed but that's it and there is little need to service it regularly. If you ask a company like Rolex they would say something like every 2-3 years but then they make big money doing expensive services. For a normal vintage watch 5-7 years is recommended by some but to be honest I don't really know and it might be that newer oils and greas could last much longer.

If we are talking quartz movements a lot of the 1970's models just keep on working with no service at all so it also comes down to type of movement and what it's made of as more modern watcher are said to use more exotic material in need of more regular services.
    Last edited by Shum; February 12th, 2015 at 21:05.

Do you mean how long between servicing? Or how long should a watch shop take to do a service? If the latter, it depends on the watchmaker. Good watchmakers usually have a backlog of work, so it takes longer.

As for time between servicing, that depends somewhat on the watch, case construction, how often you wear the watch and how you store it. Modern oils are good for at least a decade without breaking down significantly, so the bigger issue is dirt and debris getting into the oils over time. A watch in a "waterproof" case, stored in a lint-free jewelry case and worn occassionaly can go a decade without service without any real problem, unless the movement (and in particular the winding parts) is "grinding" and generating fine metal filings every time you wind it.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

For properly serviced and regularly worn watches you could expect around 5 years between services, maybe a bit longer. This needs to be tempered with common sense. For example, many watches will indeed run much longer than that, and may even appear to be running OK, but in reality the various lubricant have finite effective lifespans and running a mechanical watch beyond that point will just induce friction and wear. Thus, even watches that are worn very infrequently will require servicing after after a number of years. You may get a little longer as compared to a heavily worn watch which will also suffer contamination of the oils, but even so the ultimate arbiter is the effective life of the lubricants - you can't get away from that. Replacing of parts is something to guard against with vintage watches. Many parts for various calibers are becoming more difficult and/or more expensive to source.

Servicing of many vintage watches will cost a good percentage of or even more than the market values of the watches. That's just the way it can be. The movements require a certain amount of work to service properly whether be they in lower-priced or expensive watches.

Thanks for the input. I wasn't specific I was meaning the time it usually takes a shop to do a cleaning, but everything you say helped me a lot. Having owned nothing but quartz and now finding vintage watches its a different ball game but one I really enjoy. Thanks Mike

Thread Information