Servicing my "new" ottoman watch

Thread: Servicing my "new" ottoman watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Servicing my "new" ottoman watch

Hello gents,

can anyone recommend a decent serviceman for my pocket watch to send it to? I have had a couple turn me down already. Did not think that a Zenith would've been an issue.

Here is the PW:

Pocket Watch British Ottoman Empire Turkey Silver | eBay

It was working fine until I decided to polish it. I must have broke some rule on cleaning the case in my ignorance ( it was wound at the time). Now it runs off/ on.

Thoughts anyone?
    thank you,

David
    "A man looks down a dark tunnel he must travel and sees no light at the end of it. It is at that moment that his character is revealed."

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Servicing my "new" ottoman watch

I'm sorry but I don't know of any watchmakers in the NY area. I hope that no cleaning stuff seeped into the case - these things are anything but waterproof! If everything else fails, you could always approach Zenitrh themselves - very expensive but they guarantee to service any of their watches ever made. And the result will be top notch.

Hartmut Richter

Thanks Hartmut,

I don't mind shipping this out somewhere..just want to know its taken care of. I was hoping..which may not work out..to keep the repair to a couple hundred bucks..

I may be in the wrong hobby here :)

anyone not local you recommend Hartmut?
    "A man looks down a dark tunnel he must travel and sees no light at the end of it. It is at that moment that his character is revealed."

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Noone I could recommend especially - but I am sure that there ought to be plenty of people in the States that you could approach. If anyone else has some info, I would ask you to PM DaveyNY.

Many thanks!

Hartmut Richter

If you don't mind shipping out you could try this guy ArcherWatches.ca he does a few on the omega forum and knows his stuff. Might not be as cheap but never heard a bad word only good. Plus you also receive a step by step document with pics

Again, thank you guys. Will do and yes any help is still welcome!

David

The hairspring appears - from this photo - to have some serious issues. In addition to the regulator being positioned outside its normal range, the coils appear bunched (under the stud holder), irregular and unevenly spaced elsewhere. The centering of the hairspring between the curb pins also requires resolution. At the least, the hairspring requires removal and truing. If this isn't practical, a new hairspring would need to be vibrated, the poise of the balance confirmed and the movement put in beat and regulated. The watch may require position and temperature (if available) adjustment.

This is the realm of the watchmaker.

p
    Attached Images Attached Images

Courtesy of ULF.

I am assuming (really hoping) that by watchmaker you are not specifically referring to sending it to Zenith. Is this particularly expensive servicing? Or is this part of normal overhaul for a vintage watch?

David
    Last edited by DaveyNY; December 12th, 2012 at 14:14.

What he means you will need a watch guy that can alter hairsprings (Poise) it might be just tangled and if so many watchguys can untangle the hairspring. Where it says retard and avance the arrow should be more or less in the middle and not past the word retard

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyNY View Post
    I am assuming (really hoping) that by watchmaker you are not specifically referring to sending it to Zenith. Is this particularly expensive servicing? Or is this part of normal overhaul for a vintage watch? David
    By watchmaker I mean a fully qualified watch repairman - in the classical sense. [I lack assurance that the modern Zenith Co. would recognize this speciman as one of their own.] This is someone who is capable of cutting a staff, vibrating a hairspring or manufacturing (or modifying to suit) any other part required to bring this watch into proper form.

This watch would be best served with a new hairspring. Most domestic watchmakers don't offer this service on a regular basis. The prevailing rate for vibrating a new one is $100 U.S.

Replacement of a hairspring isn't customary as they aren't usually damaged in the course of regular use. Save for corrosion, hairsprings often function for a couple of hundred years or more without issue. The type and condition of this watch would tend to disuade those who aren't necessarily motivated by challenges. And the geographic origin of it would preclude any further surprise on the part of the watchmaker at what other extraordinary deficiencies might be lurking below the surface. p
    Quote Originally Posted by joeuk View Post
    What he means you will need a watch guy that can alter hairsprings (Poise) it might be just tangled and if so many watchguys can untangle the hairspring. . . . .
    Thank you for responding on my behalf. p
    Courtesy of ULF.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information