Servicing options (seiko lord Matic 5606 and '30s trench watch)
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By journeyforce

Thread: Servicing options (seiko lord Matic 5606 and '30s trench watch)

Servicing options (seiko lord Matic 5606 and '30s trench watch)

I've got two vintage watches that are running but stop in certain positions with no service history. One is a '30s West End Queen Anne hand cranker trench watch and the other is a '73 Seiko Lord Matic 5606 with the day-date actually functioning correctly (rare for the 5606). The thing is, I have no idea who to take them to, considering I live somewhat in the middle of nowhere. I could drive up to Washington DC/northern VA about 2 hours away but would prefer to find something closer as I start college in two weeks and am working almost every day. Is there an option to ship them to someone? Any recommendations for anyone in the DC or Roanoke/Blacksburg VA area or to ship? What cost estimate would I be looking at?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Re: Servicing options (seiko lord Matic 5606 and '30s trench watch)

I think a lot of places will except delivery of a watch to service but I would find out service cost first, you can normally shop around on websites that give a good idea of service cost e.g handwind watches cost, autowatch cost and vintage piece cost stay away from high end service places these will charge an arm and a leg. Google is always your best friend.

p.s Always expect that a piece maybe be broken and cannot be fixed due to parts.

There is a place I go to called the Watch Pocket Jewelers in Silver Spring Maryland. These folks are watchmakers and work on every type of watch(except for the pallet pin lever watches) I have had many Seiko (and Omega) watches serviced there. They also work on Accutron watches. They are a NAWCC approved watch maker. Prices were(as of March) $150 for servicing(oiling, cleaning, disassembly) on manual wind watches, $200 for automatic watches and $300 for Chronos (auto and manual winding)

Now these prices assume that the watch works already and just needs a cleaning/servicing. A watch that needs repairs will cost more.

They do accept mail ins

Feel free to call them and ask for Gene
    badbackdan and Chirv like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by journeyforce View Post
    Prices were(as of March) $150 for servicing(oiling, cleaning, disassembly) on manual wind watches, $200 for automatic watches and $300 for Chronos (auto and manual winding)

They do accept mail ins

Thanks for the reference... But at those prices I'm considering selling both (the trench watch already is for sale here...) maybe I shouldn't have taken the vintage plunge just yet. Not sure it's worth the price of a comparable new watch for me, plus I've been spending too much recently... Alternatively I could wait until I have the funds but then it's just sitting there unused while I could have another one getting wrist time. Tbh I know what's wrong with it, I posted about it a while back when I got it. The second hand gets hung up on the crystal at a few locations but not when laid flat and gravity working on it. I'd take the movement out myself and bend/press the second hand back a bit but you open it through the crystal and I don't want to risk it. Is there a way for them to fix the second hand for cheap and see if it needs a full service without actually proceeding with the service?

Quote Originally Posted by journeyforce View Post
    There is a place I go to called the Watch Pocket Jewelers in Silver Spring Maryland. These folks are watchmakers and work on every type of watch(except for the pallet pin lever watches) I have had many Seiko (and Omega) watches serviced there. They also work on Accutron watches. They are a NAWCC approved watch maker. Prices were(as of March) $150 for servicing(oiling, cleaning, disassembly) on manual wind watches, $200 for automatic watches and $300 for Chronos (auto and manual winding)

Now these prices assume that the watch works already and just needs a cleaning/servicing. A watch that needs repairs will cost more.

They do accept mail ins

Very fair prices for a major metropolitan area in the US.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Most watchmakers will only do repairs, not partial repairs, so I doubt it. The typical service prices in the US are around the eBay market value of Lordmatics.

Quote Originally Posted by Chirv View Post
    Thanks for the reference... But at those prices I'm considering selling both (the trench watch already is for sale here...) maybe I shouldn't have taken the vintage plunge just yet. Not sure it's worth the price of a comparable new watch for me, plus I've been spending too much recently... Alternatively I could wait until I have the funds but then it's just sitting there unused while I could have another one getting wrist time. Tbh I know what's wrong with it, I posted about it a while back when I got it. The second hand gets hung up on the crystal at a few locations but not when laid flat and gravity working on it. I'd take the movement out myself and bend/press the second hand back a bit but you open it through the crystal and I don't want to risk it. Is there a way for them to fix the second hand for cheap and see if it needs a full service without actually proceeding with the service?

Thread Information