Servicing Pocket Watches
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By ffritz
  • 1 Post By DowningB
  • 1 Post By Watchbreath

Thread: Servicing Pocket Watches

Servicing Pocket Watches

Hi all! Long time, first time.

I would like to start first by apologizing for my forum illiteracy if this ends up not being posted on the right sub forum.

I was looking for a good recommendation on servicing pocket watches. I searched online and the prices vary wildly anywhere between 80USD to 400USD. And I couldn't really find much info on the reputation or the reliability of the said websites. I would be very appreciative if someone could share their experiences and recommendations on servicing vintage pocket watches and any info on why there is such a huge variance in service costs. I live in the US so it WOULD be preferable if the service center was also based on the US but I am open to other options.

Thank You,
    Vikgmt

Re: Servicing Pocket Watches

Quote Originally Posted by vikgmt View Post
    Hi all! Long time, first time.

I would like to start first by apologizing for my forum illiteracy if this ends up not being posted on the right sub forum.

I was looking for a good recommendation on servicing pocket watches. I searched online and the prices vary wildly anywhere between 80USD to 400USD. And I couldn't really find much info on the reputation or the reliability of the said websites. I would be very appreciative if someone could share their experiences and recommendations on servicing vintage pocket watches and any info on why there is such a huge variance in service costs. I live in the US so it WOULD be preferable if the service center was also based on the US but I am open to other options.

Thank You,
    Vikgmt
    I would suggest to look for a good, old school local watchmaker. Not a jeweler who's merely a reception facility for luxury watches, though. Ordinary pocket watches are easy to service, so anyone who can work on watches will be able to do it.
    PAUL H. and vikgmt like this.

I recently asked the same question on page 2 of this thread:

Pocket Watches: is it the case, the dial, the movement, the history

and was advised by GM Wheeler The 3rd to check out Rob Carter at Pocket Watch Repairs.

I have a local watch shop and assume they can do the service but if not then I'm going to give Rob a try.
    vikgmt likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

@ffritz, thank you! I will definitely be searching my town for some good watchmaker/technician. Thanks for the link DowningB also, your pocket watches are stunning!

Check with Jason at 'The Tick Tock Shop' in Santa Clara, CA.
    vikgmt likes this.

Thread Information