Servicing A Vintage Hamilton

Thread: Servicing A Vintage Hamilton

Servicing A Vintage Hamilton

Hey everyone I've got an old Hamilton and it looks to me like a 60's model. It's a "Moxie" branded Thinomatic and spent the last few decades in a drawer. I'd love to get it working again and wear it.

While the movement starts right up when I shake the watch a little, the momentum stops a few minutes later and it eventually gives out entirely. Considering it hasn't been used in a long time, I'm assuming a service will get it working again (unless that sounds like a different problem.)

I contacted Hamilton and they said they don't have the parts to service these old models, so I'm wondering what everyone recommends. I'm located in Austin, TX

Thanks everybody
    Last edited by Deluxy; 1 Week Ago at 00:24.

Re: Servicing A Vintage Hamilton

I wouldn't know of any shop in Texas but if you're willing to try someone further away, you could try Eric Greenberg at Clock Savant. He's not cheap, but he's extremely meticulous and he services vintage watches all day long, keeping you updated with emails and a private photo gallery of the entire process. I just had a 1938 Seckron worked on by him, and it's running like a champ.

Well, shaking it is a BIG no-no, it's not a baby rattle.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It should be serviced if you're going to wear it regularly. However, it sounds to me like you're really not winding it sufficiently by just giving it a little shake. Trying pre-winding it by hand 20-30 turns, then wearing it will be enough to keep it wound.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Awesome thanks for the advice everybody

Quote Originally Posted by Deluxy View Post
    Hey everyone I've got an old Hamilton and it looks to me like a 60's model. It's a "Moxie" branded Thinomatic and spent the last few decades in a drawer. I'd love to get it working again and wear it.

While the movement starts right up when I shake the watch a little, the momentum stops a few minutes later and it eventually gives out entirely. Considering it hasn't been used in a long time, I'm assuming a service will get it working again (unless that sounds like a different problem.)

I contacted Hamilton and they said they don't have the parts to service these old models, so I'm wondering what everyone recommends. I'm located in Austin, TX

Thanks everybody
    I would find a certified watchmaker who is in his 50s to 70s to check it out. He has likely worked on many old Hamiltons in the past.
    Regards from Sunny San Diego..........Tom

Thread Information