Servicing - vintage Vacheron Constantin
Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By Grégoire
  • 2 Post By Paul_S
  • 1 Post By Paul_S
  • 1 Post By Dan S

Thread: Servicing - vintage Vacheron Constantin

Servicing - vintage Vacheron Constantin

Hi all. I have my eye on a Vacheron Constantin watch from the 1960s. I am concerned about servicing costs. Does anyone havr any experience of getting something similar serviced? In the UK would be ideal, but I would be happy to send it further afield if needed.

Re: Servicing - vintage Vacheron Constantin

Don't think you would need to send it very far afield. If it's a simple time-only piece, why not just have a competent local watchmaker service it? Just because it's a Vacheron Constantin doesn't mean its movement will contain anything that a watchmaker hasn't seen before. If it needs a replacement part, then sourcing might be an issue, but that's unlikely.

Find a good watchmaker, if you don't know one already, and bring him or her the watch. It's not a fighter jet that needs an overhaul, it's a watch with some plates, gears and springs, don't sweat it.
    Check out my "Watch of the Week" on Instagram.

Agreed, it is an elegant watch but essentially easy to work on inside. (In many cases, the nicer the watch, the easier to service.) An indie watchmaker can do a great job on it for a good price.

Of course, VC would be happy to charge you $2400 to restore it.
    andycoulson1.ac and busmatt like this.
    There is something more to the art of watchmaking and repairing than that of merely assembling a watch and making it 'tick.'
    ---Walter Kleinlein, Rules and Practice for Adjusting Watches (1940)

Member, National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors

My blog about precision timing: AdjustingVintageWatches.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You can get a sense of typical UK rates by checking out the price list at Watch Guy's blog and webpage. Some places will charge more, others will be less.

You'll save money by working with the watchmaker directly instead of using a jewelry store or watch shop as a middleman.
    andycoulson1.ac likes this.
    There is something more to the art of watchmaking and repairing than that of merely assembling a watch and making it 'tick.'
    ---Walter Kleinlein, Rules and Practice for Adjusting Watches (1940)

Member, National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors

My blog about precision timing: AdjustingVintageWatches.com

Thanks guys. I feel much more comfortable about it now and I think I will go for it. My first vintage watch and I am very excited!

It's nice to avoid the stress of having to ship a valuable watch more than necessary.
    HOROLOGIST007 likes this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Quote Originally Posted by andycoulson1.ac View Post
    Hi all. I have my eye on a Vacheron Constantin watch from the 1960s. I am concerned about servicing costs. Does anyone havr any experience of getting something similar serviced? In the UK would be ideal, but I would be happy to send it further afield if needed.
    Does the watch have complications?
    You can take it into a Vacheron AD and they can send to Switzerland.

I just arranged a gold, skeleton, perpetual calendar to go back to Switzerland that way - its been with VC 8 weeks, and I still await an estimate
    adam
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    Does the watch have complications?
    You can take it into a Vacheron AD and they can send to Switzerland.

I just arranged a gold, skeleton, perpetual calendar to go back to Switzerland that way - its been with VC 8 weeks, and I still await an estimate
    adam
    It is a simple but beautiful 2 hander. While it is valuable as far as my collection and my means, it is probably not worth sending to Vacheron for a full price service/overhaul. I have seen quotes of between £2k and £5k for a simple time only watch when sent to Vacheron. The watch itself will cost me about £4k, and I am hoping that with a good service from a local watchmaker it will give me a fair few years of infrequent use.

I know timekeeping will not be excellent without a full refurb, but for my purposes it should be sufficient ☺

I hope your service doesn't prove too costly. Some pictures on a thread for that beautiful watch when it is returned to you would be appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by andycoulson1.ac View Post
    It is a simple but beautiful 2 hander. While it is valuable as far as my collection and my means, it is probably not worth sending to Vacheron for a full price service/overhaul. I have seen quotes of between £2k and £5k for a simple time only watch when sent to Vacheron. The watch itself will cost me about £4k, and I am hoping that with a good service from a local watchmaker it will give me a fair few years of infrequent use.

I know timekeeping will not be excellent without a full refurb, but for my purposes it should be sufficient ☺

I hope your service doesn't prove too costly. Some pictures on a thread for that beautiful watch when it is returned to you would be appreciated!
    Agree your sentiments - a good watchmaker should be able to strip, clean and oil - no issue.
    Regards
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Thread Information