Setting a Lever-set Pocket Watch Counterclockwise?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By river rat

Thread: Setting a Lever-set Pocket Watch Counterclockwise?

Setting a Lever-set Pocket Watch Counterclockwise?

Is there anything wrong in, when setting a lever-set pocket watch, turning the hands back a bit (counterclockwise) in order to set the time? I thought I had heard somewhere that going counterclockwise is bad for the movement.

I received a beautiful circa 1900 Rockford yesterday, and noticed when setting it that it did not seem to want to be turned counterclockwise. I was trying to go back (counterclockwise) by only a few minutes. The seller had said the watch had been fully serviced. The watch--case, movement, dial--looks incredibly clean. Also, I wound the watch in order to perform a 24-hour test for accuracy, and I found it had stopped running after 16 hours. I welcome any comments.

Re: Setting a Lever-set Pocket Watch Counterclockwise?

As long as the lever is pulled out you should be able to move the hands with the crown in any direction to change the time and I own a lot of lever set pocket watches never had that problem.If you got it on fleabay a lot of sellers are not trouthful.And it also stopped working sounds like it was never serviced or if it was sent in the mail it mite of got damaged durring shipping.Have a watch maker take a look at it.
    NEKNIM likes this.

Re: Setting a Lever-set Pocket Watch Counterclockwise?

I agree with river rat. A full wind should certainly run more than 16 hrs. But if the mainspring is old and set I guess it is possible that is all the power reserve it has. If that is the case it may not run very well because the impulse to the balance may be poor.

Regarding not turning the hands counter clockwise my only experience is with a wrist watch. I have one watch that for some reason the action is much rougher moving the hand counter clockwise rather than clockwise. There is a part that is messed up but the watchmaker told me it wouldn't damage anything and a repair part was not available. So you may have something wrong in the setting mechanism.

Thread Information