Sharing a peace of family history...
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Hartmut Richter
  • 1 Post By Eeeb

Thread: Sharing a peace of family history...

Sharing a peace of family history...

This was my grandfathers watch. I never met him, he worked for the government during and after WW2. He died in '83, 3 years before I was born...many cool and sad stories surrounded that man. Anyway...his 60's (I guess), 17 jewels, Swiss made - "Jovial" with the leather strap he had it on. I've seen some very similar vintage models here on WUS, beautiful pieces of history, no doubt. Those other models here I saw have "DeLuxe" written above 6 o'clock marker...my grandfather's have "Special" written there (makes me proud somehow). The watch still works, it hasn't been serviced since my grandfather died. Share your 2 cents...
    Here are the photos:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by andrija86ze; January 11th, 2013 at 22:05.
    Best regards,
    AJ

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Sharing a peace of family history...

Looks like a nice late fifties, early sixties watch. Jovial was an independent company located in Biel but using generic movements so you probably have something by Adolf Schild, FHF or similar makers inside.

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Looks like a nice late fifties, early sixties watch. Jovial was an independent company located in Biel but using generic movements so you probably have something by Adolf Schild, FHF or similar makers inside.

Hartmut Richter
    Thank you sir, what is a generic movement...?
    Best regards,
    AJ

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

It is a movement made by an independent copmpany. Most watch companies do not make their own movements but get them from makers of generic movements. As a result, an ETA movement (for example) can appear in many different watch brands whereas a Zenith movement (for example) will appear only in Zeniths and maybe very few other brands. High class generics can be just as good as decent "manufacture" movements - they are simply made in their millions and therefore rather less special and valuable.

Hartmut Richter
    andrija86ze likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    It is a movement made by an independent copmpany. Most watch companies do not make their own movements but get them from makers of generic movements. As a result, an ETA movement (for example) can appear in many different watch brands whereas a Zenith movement (for example) will appear only in Zeniths and maybe very few other brands. High class generics can be just as good as decent "manufacture" movements - they are simply made in their millions and therefore rather less special and valuable.

Hartmut Richter
    I have a contrarian take on this. A generic has the advantage of having been made by an organization whose only mission is making movements. This often resulted in economies of scale where it was easier to spread the cost of subsequent development over more pieces. Thus the number of improved calibres (movements) tends to be higher in generics. In addition, fine tuning a manufacturing line to produce precision is the result of experience. Since a generic is usually manufactured in higher quantities, improved precision is easier to attain. Lastly, a higher number of movements made usually correlates to a longer term availability of parts over manufacture movements.

Hartmut is correct that many collectors prefer manufacture movements over generic due to the exclusivity, but some (like me!) value the movements directly and will collect a variety of makers who use the same movement. The motivations of collectors are diverse

Don't use the watch without having it serviced. That will prevent damage and preserve it for subsequent generations. Another tip, record the 'provenance' (history) of the watch and keep it with the watch. Your grandkids will thank you.
    Last edited by Eeeb; January 12th, 2013 at 02:47. Reason: wrong verb
    andrija86ze likes this.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Since I'm a young and new member of this community I will try and learn (gradually of course) all I can about...well...peaces of history I hope. More knowledgeable members can be, as I'm guessing, treasuries of information should they choose to share.
    I will have the watch serviced, like you said, to be sure that it stays well inside.
    Thank you Eeeb for your comments and advice.
    Last edited by andrija86ze; January 12th, 2013 at 10:02.
    Best regards,
    AJ

Thread Information