Shill bidding is rampant on fleabay
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Shill bidding is rampant on fleabay

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Shill bidding is rampant on fleabay

Its been discussed before, how certain eastern European countries produce a great many scam listings in fleabay. The boldness of this one really surprised me...an unremarkable lady's V&C pendant watch that went for at least 5X its value, assuming its in perfect condition. Looking at the bidding, I suspect two shill bidding identities, and the person with (65) was the target. The "private" identity which ran the price up has only done his bidding with this seller. Why fleabay doesn't have an algorithm to detect this is a wonder.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-12-22 at 12.13.30 PM.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  268.8 KB

Look at the seller's feedback and you should be struck by the number of "private" buyers, also many with low feedback which can also be shills used to drive up the price or generate positive feedback numbers (some pretty gushing buyers comments, and rather consistently phrased). Be careful out there!

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-12-22 at 12.20.20 PM.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  295.9 KB
    VESPASIAN, bluestifford and mkws like this.
    Tick Talk says, "A watch in the hand is worth two on the wrist"

Re: Shill bidding is rampant on fleabay

Hi there,

Quote Originally Posted by Tick Talk View Post
    Why fleabay doesn't have an algorithm to detect this is a wonder.
    It's no surprise, and even less a wonder. The charges grow proportionally with the prices, and ebay wasn't established to make the world a better place.

But I don't want to be too harsh: Ebay gives the opportunity to browse the results of closed auctions, and everybody has the chance to get a feeling for realistic market prices. And that is more than one can expect from a profit oriented business.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Ard, bluestifford and VESPASIAN like this.

I was buying a lot of chronos some ten year ago or so but now things are crazy.

I think our time was in the late 70's early 80's

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

What else is new?
    VESPASIAN likes this.

Ard

I believe that in a large part buyers have brought onto themselves any sort of shill bidding by the practice of sniping items at the closing bell of many auctions. Buyers are driven by the idea of getting something way below actual market value. Sellers are responsible for fees which even include the monies collected to pay for shipping. The charges are due regardless of whether the item sells low or high. It's a game now for sellers just the same as it has been a game for buyers for over a decade. Some sellers are just catching on to the idea that it's better to risk having their shill win than to let an item go for way less than it's worth.

Is that right? I'm not saying it is, I'm just saying what I think happens in some cases.

I sell on ebay. ( Rarely watches. I dont seem to have much luck with them ). But speaking of algorithms. I have never understood the reasoning behind taking a fee from the buyers postage, so that the seller automatically loses money on shipping. The original pretext was to prevent sellers ( as an example ) from making a sale for $2.00 and charging 45 dollars shipping. Firstly any buyer would know right away about the shipping cost ( and determine if they thought it was a rip off ) as would ebay and since they warn sellers about doing just about anything wrong, ( in Bold red letters ) you would think they could catch inappropriate shipping rates and warn the seller off such a practice. But no, the solution was to charge all sellers 10% off the top of the buyers postage cost. I wonder if its even legal, frankly. But once youve signed away the right to your first born, I guess it goes with the territory. ebayers bitched about it in the discussion forums but that was as far as it went. At least you can openly complain. I dont know if this is still true, but if you complained in an etsy forum, they booted you out, virtual lock ,stock and barrel. I hope this made sense to you, the reader. Im not a complainer by nature, just thought to illuminate on a subject, near and dear to me. Paranoid regards. P&P

Ebayers are doing unethical things on Ebay? Duly noted.
    bloody watches and VESPASIAN like this.
    Stowa 1938 | Speedy Pro 311 | Omega SMPc | 66 Omega SM | 65 Omega Cosmic | 54 Omega SM | 72 Speedy Mark II | 69 Tissot T.12 | 70 Tissot Super T.12 | 70 Seiko 6139 | 71 Seiko Yachtman | 77 Seiko Pogue | 70s Seiko Bullhead | 69 Bulova SK | Ventus Mori | Helm Khuraburi

I'm not sure I get this. If shill bidders win their own auctions don't they have to pay the 10%+ value fee and at least pay for shipping to pretend to send it somewhere? Or maybe I don't really know how shill bidding works.

I always check the feedback of sellers before bidding and words like Honest, Trustworthy, Professional are all red flags to me as smacks of associates trying to dispel any worries potential bidders may have,

Quote Originally Posted by Giotime View Post
    I'm not sure I get this. If shill bidders win their own auctions don't they have to pay the 10%+ value fee and at least pay for shipping to pretend to send it somewhere? Or maybe I don't really know how shill bidding works.
    For small cost items “sold” to their shill I’m sure they pay the fleabay commission, nothing gets shipped after all, and a couple of bucks buys positive feedback. If a big dollar scam fails and the shill ends up high bidder, I’d bet the sale gets cancelled and who cares if a shill ID is suspended.
    Last edited by Tick Talk; December 23rd, 2017 at 16:33. Reason: Add info
    Giotime likes this.
    Tick Talk says, "A watch in the hand is worth two on the wrist"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information