"Shipmate" Watch - Rolex or Abercrombie??
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: "Shipmate" Watch - Rolex or Abercrombie??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

"Shipmate" Watch - Rolex or Abercrombie??

Hey guys. I recently acquired this great watch at the flea market, and was hoping to learn more about it. I searched Shipmate and only found either Rolex or Abercrombie & Fitch watches. I don't have the correct tools to open the back at the moment, but was wondering if anyone has seen one like it? I'm guessing it's an Abercrombie, but I'm really hoping for a rare unmarked rolex! It's actually working beautifully, just needs to be cleaned up. The hands look pretty nice, and I'm guessing this is early 1940's era. Can anyone help me out? Thank you sooo much! -Eric

Re: "Shipmate" Watch - Rolex or Abercrombie??

Mikrolisk results for Shipmate:
    Mikrolisk - The horological trade mark index
    Only two of them here- Abercrombie and Fitch, and a Nautical Clock Co. from Norfolk, Virginia (which, on the contrary to its name, was also dealing with watches, as the Mikrolisk description informs).
    Rolex watches were retailed by A&F, some models- like one called "Commando" were available at A&F stores only.
    Without having a look at the movement, the theoretical part can go on and on.
    This caseback type needs a special wrench, so if you don't have one, simply ask a watchmaker- he should open up the watch for free.
    As for now, not much more to be said.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

The case looks very similar to a little Gallet watch that I used to have. If the back isn't too tight you may be able to use sticky tape in a ball or a ball of tack to grip and turn the back.
    --Charlie

-Citizen -Seiko -Heuer -Steinhart -Bulova -TagHeuer

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

Not a Rolex Oyster case, it looks like a Taubert (originally Borgel) case to me.
    busmatt likes this.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

It is indeed a Taubert case so rather unlikely I suspect to contain a Rolex. I have quite a few of these and they contain a very broad range of movements so the only way to know is to open it.

Awesome, thank you guys for the help. I'm going to try to get it opened as soon as possible. Hope its decent, I would have no clue on the value.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    Not a Rolex Oyster case, it looks like a Taubert (originally Borgel) case to me.
    Technically these were never Borgel though eBay sellers would love you to believe otherwise. The Tauberts were accomplished case makers and this is really all their own work. Of course they did buy the Borgel patents and make them for a long time so it's fair to say these cases are the next development but the Tauberts went through quite a few prototypes before coming up with this design which was extremely successful and elements of the design can still be found in modern cases.

Hi.
    I agree to Mirius, this is most likely a decacagonal case by Tauber

They made this water proof case for a number of manufacturers like Patek Philippe, , Vacheron, Mido, Movado and West End, to name a few - did they make for Rolex, well Rolex certainly used the Taubert-Borgel 3 piece case - who knows.

What is interesting is the model or serial number stamped between the lugs, now that is very Rolex.

You need a special tool to open the case, but it will be most interesting to see the movement

Thanks for posting an interesting piece
    Regards'
    adam
    ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS: David Boettcher - Taubert History
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; June 14th, 2015 at 21:39.
    Mirius and busmatt like this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    Hi.
    What is interesting is the model or serial number stamped between the lugs, now that is very Rolex.

You need a special tool to open the case, but it will be most interesting to see the movement
    All of mine have a number and I do agree it's a nice touch.

I have opened them without a special tool but they can be on tight so I wouldn't risk scratching which would devalue the piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    All of mine have a number and I do agree it's a nice touch.

I have opened them without a special tool but they can be on tight so I wouldn't risk scratching which would devalue the piece.
    Cool. I never knew that, interesting and thanks.

And yes with experience you can open without proper tool.

Thanks again
    a
    Mirius likes this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information