• 2 Post By howards4th
  • 2 Post By Habitant
  • 4 Post By Sdasurrey
  • 2 Post By Addictedtowatches
  • 1 Post By howards4th
  • 1 Post By aditya
  • 2 Post By howards4th
  • 2 Post By AZchron

Thread: Shocked but not suprised. Can you help?

Shocked but not suprised. Can you help?

Hey Everyone,
    I took in my Grandfathers Elgin pocket watch in for service a couple of months back. (This in the one you see in my Avatar) Got a call last night from my watch guy saying there are many problems including:
    Cracked jewels, worn pivots, some but not bad rust damage and other problems which he cannot fix. He went on to say that he has a ton of Elgin parts but just not any for my watch.

His suggestion was to find another/different movement, kind of like if it were an old car and the engine were shot you just swap out the engine.

I have looked on the NAWCC site and elginwatches.org and found a couple of guys that work only on Elgin. I have not contacted them as of yet. I want to see if anyone here knows someone or has used someone that knows Elgins P.W.'s

I would rather get this fixed than swapping out for another movement.

Here's the info on her:
    Grade 184, class 7, 18 size, full plate, open face, nickel plates, 5th model, pendant set with 17 jewels. It's one of 10120 of this grade produced in 32 runs. The 1st serial number was 7223001 and the last was 8502000. It's circa 1897.

It was running a little slow when I took it in but I never would of imagined this much would be wrong.
    I know it 116 years old, it's just feels like it died all of a sudden... know what it mean?

Anyway, if any of you know a watch guy that could not only take a look but knows that he has parts for this particular watch could you let me know?
    I would very much appreciate it.
    Name:  ekgin 1.JPG
Views: 239
Size:  158.2 KB
    Name:  elgin 2.JPG
Views: 234
Size:  213.2 KB
    Name:  elgin 3.JPG
Views: 230
Size:  115.7 KB
    I know it's been at the watch guys for a couple of months but, I have NEVER seen it look so dull...EVER. Like I said: seems like she just died.

Thanks again everyone!

Regards,

Chris

edit: Feel free to PM me or post here.
    Last edited by howards4th; October 2nd, 2014 at 23:58.
    bobbee and JP71624 like this.

Re: Shocked but not suprised. Can you help?

I kind of think you know the answer to your own question already: the guy you went to is not someone you ought to be doing business with. Get in touch the the Elgin guys and see what they say. There are other resources (like here), where you'll be able to seek out other opinions.
    radger and bobbee like this.

Shocked but not suprised. Can you help?

I would start with GeneJockey as he's the main 'Elgin Guy' isn't he ? I agree with Habitant - time for a second opinion...

Sent from SDA's iPhone using Tapatalkk
    radger, bobbee, howards4th and 1 others like this.
    'Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.' -- Slim Pickens as Major T.J. 'King' Kong, Dr. Strangelove 1964

__________________________________________________ __________
    My 'Show-Piece' - Zenith El Primero 'Red' Captain Ltd Edition #255/500
    My 'Grails' - 1920s & 1930s 18ct Gold Eberhard Monopusher chronos - with a Valjioux 65 movements
    My 'Fav' 1917 Silver Moser Trench
    Various vintage watches - Trench-style, Art Deco & 20s-50s chronographs - especially Eberhard & Longines

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

+1 Agree with the above. I wouldn't swap the movement.
    bobbee and howards4th like this.
    --Charlie

-Citizen -Seiko -Heuer -Steinhart -Bulova -TagHeuer

Quote Originally Posted by Habitant View Post
    I kind of think you know the answer to your own question already: the guy you went to is not someone you ought to be doing business with. Get in touch the the Elgin guys and see what they say. There are other resources (like here), where you'll be able to seek out other opinions.
    Yes, I knew all along I wanted to keep the original movement, I should of phrased the question as: Who knows Elgin's iside and out AND has the parts to fix it.
    That's the tough one...or maybe not.

Many Thanks!
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Sdasurrey View Post
    I would start with GeneJockey as he's the main 'Elgin Guy' isn't he ? I agree with Habitant - time for a second opinion...

Sent from SDA's iPhone using Tapatalkk
    I did message Genejockey last week as a mater of fact about the Elgin wrist watch I have, but have not heard back...perhaps he's out of pocket???
    Sdasurrey likes this.

There is a guy whose blog I follow, seems to work exclusively on Elgins. You could get in touch with him. (PM sent)

Kind regards

Aditya

Quote Originally Posted by aditya View Post
    There is a guy whose blog I follow, seems to work exclusively on Elgins. You could get in touch with him. (PM sent)

Kind regards

Aditya
    Thanks again Aditya and Thank you everyone for your input and help. With Aditya recomendation and I have a couple of other as well that I'm going to look into today.
    I will let you know what happens.

Stay tuned!

Thanks again!
    Chris
    JP71624 and Sdasurrey like this.

Quote Originally Posted by howards4th View Post
    Hey Everyone,
    I took in my Grandfathers Elgin pocket watch in for service a couple of months back. (This in the one you see in my Avatar) Got a call last night from my watch guy saying there are many problems including:
    Cracked jewels, worn pivots, some but not bad rust damage and other problems which he cannot fix. He went on to say that he has a ton of Elgin parts but just not any for my watch.

His suggestion was to find another/different movement, kind of like if it were an old car and the engine were shot you just swap out the engine.

I have looked on the NAWCC site and elginwatches.org and found a couple of guys that work only on Elgin. I have not contacted them as of yet. I want to see if anyone here knows someone or has used someone that knows Elgins P.W.'s

I would rather get this fixed than swapping out for another movement.

Here's the info on her:
    Grade 184, class 7, 18 size, full plate, open face, nickel plates, 5th model, pendant set with 17 jewels. It's one of 10120 of this grade produced in 32 runs. The 1st serial number was 7223001 and the last was 8502000. It's circa 1897.

It was running a little slow when I took it in but I never would of imagined this much would be wrong.
    I know it 116 years old, it's just feels like it died all of a sudden... know what it mean?

Anyway, if any of you know a watch guy that could not only take a look but knows that he has parts for this particular watch could you let me know?
    I would very much appreciate it.
    Name:  ekgin 1.JPG
Views: 239
Size:  158.2 KB
    Name:  elgin 2.JPG
Views: 234
Size:  213.2 KB
    Name:  elgin 3.JPG
Views: 230
Size:  115.7 KB
    I know it's been at the watch guys for a couple of months but, I have NEVER seen it look so dull...EVER. Like I said: seems like she just died.

Thanks again everyone!

Regards,

Chris

edit: Feel free to PM me or post here.
    I work on primarily 16s Elgins, but have several 18s watches with the same cock and balance arrangement as your grade 184, and from my limited experience, the balance staff jewels and/or staff seem prone to wear, allowing for sufficient balance wobble to drag against the plate (on mine, anyway). I have 3 that someday I'll scavenge parts to make one run reliably.

In your case, consider looking around for a replacement Grade 184 movement on e-bay, as source for jewels and maybe balance/staff. I've been disassembling movements to clean and replace mainsprings, and have gotten a few junk model 291's to play with. With minimal skill, and maximum patience, it is no monumental task to remove and replace the balance jewels. I have minimal equipment, however a movement vise is essential; my screwdrivers began life as cheap dollar store screwdrivers that I reworked on a sharpening stone to fit all my watch repair screw sizes.

When shopping for a movement, be sure to know that the balance staff is tight, and not wobbly before you buy, otherwise you may end up with just another set of chipped/worn jewels. Drinking Decaf, helps too.
    howards4th and Sdasurrey like this.

Thread Information