Should I buy this OMEGA

Thread: Should I buy this OMEGA

Question Should I buy this OMEGA

I am a newbee and need your advice on the below OMEGA, 1952-1962, The case is K14 gold, manual movement. It was overhaul last year. My wife would like to buy me as a gift, but I really don't know what we should be paying for that. Does anyone know a realistic price for this, which model this is, case size ?. There was no "SWISS MADE" as usual.

Thank you.
    Sato

Re: Should I buy this OMEGA

The movement was made in 1957, or perhaps early 1958. This forum does not allow valuations, so you might check the "Completed listings" on eBay for valuation comparisons.
    Regards from Sunny San Diego..........Tom

See if you can get a picture of the case reference number (on the inside of the case back). It will make it easier to track this one down in the Omega Vintage Database (on the Omega Watch website). It will give you a better indication of the original configuration, MSRP when new and whether it is authentic.

This from the Omega site with case reference number H 6550, which looks close to the partial reference number in your picture:

Reference

H 6550
    International collection

Movement

• Type: Manual winding (mechanical)
    • Caliber number: 510
    • Created in 1954
      17 jewels

Case

Solid yellow gold
    Case back

• Press-in
    • Full metal
    Dial

Not available
    Crystal

Hesalite
    Bracelet

Leather
    Water resistance

No
    More product information

Case : round, 14K solid gold, made in USA
    US Collection : 1961.1965
    US retail price (1965) : US$ 110.-
    JLM

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi -

The advice is, as usual, excellent, but just a word of clarification: it's not so much that we don't "allow" valuation, it's much more that it simply wouldn't be fair to do so.

Performing a valuation properly involves actually having the watch and being able to perform some basic tests for functionality and what is called "haptics" or the feel of the watch (how smooth is it winding, etc). No one can do this on-line, and it simply would be unfair to even try to do so.

On the other hand, eBay is probably the world's largest single exchange market and gives you an excellent idea of what something is actually worth, as opposed to what someone hopes it may be.

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Thanks Dimonds, Yes, its serial is H6579 .

Quote Originally Posted by four of diamonds View Post
    See if you can get a picture of the case reference number (on the inside of the case back). It will make it easier to track this one down in the Omega Vintage Database (on the Omega Watch website). It will give you a better indication of the original configuration, MSRP when new and whether it is authentic.

This from the Omega site with case reference number H 6550, which looks close to the partial reference number in your picture:

Reference

H 6550
    International collection

Movement
    • Type: Manual winding (mechanical)
    • Caliber number: 510
    • Created in 1954
      17 jewels
    Case

Solid yellow gold
    Case back
    • Press-in
    • Full metal
    Dial

Not available
    Crystal

Hesalite
    Bracelet

Leather
    Water resistance

No
    More product information

Case : round, 14K solid gold, made in USA
    US Collection : 1961.1965
    US retail price (1965) : US$ 110.-
    JLM

Looks like the original owner got it for 30 years work at McCormicks in 1962. That sort of inscription usually makes it less valuable but helps with identification.
    If you are buying it for yourself to use, you don't care. Just make sure it's in good running condition. Omegas are usually good vintage watches to buy because Omega is still in business and parts are still available (within reason).
    Shugart's book from 2003 (a bit out of date) gives pricing in the range of $300-$500 for similar types and age of Omega depending on condition. We can't assess condition from a photograph, as JohnF and Tom have already pointed out.
    Ultimately any watch is worth what you are willing to pay for it.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thread Information