should I go back for this Omega?
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: should I go back for this Omega?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

should I go back for this Omega?

Hey folks. I've been lurking for a while, just registered. I inherited two watches (1950's Longines, 1970's Caravelle, neither fancy) from my granddad that recently hooked me on vintage watches. Been keeping an eye out in strange places. Found an old Hamilton for my lady for $18, but so far nothing for me.

Today I was in a pawn shop looking at a banjo. On the way out I saw this steel Omega in the case full of fashion watches and a lot of Seikos. (I hope the photo works.) I quickly took a look. It wound up and ran. They are asking a little over $200. Tag says "16 jewel Omega", nothing else. The band was on backwards (long piece on the 12 side). The band had Omega stamped on the inner surface.

The winding sounded louder than my Longines or Caravelle. The hour hand had a blue color to it at some angles that the other hands did not, so I think it was replaced. The back had no markings, was rounded and brushed steel, and did not have those divots for unscrewing but instead had a notch on the edge like my Longines (for prying off?). Sorry I didn't get a photo.

Is this thing for real? Is it a known model? A composite? Too expensive? Should I go back and take another look? Try to buy it?

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: should I go back for this Omega?

Looks like a genuine 1940's Omega to me.

This watch will most likely have the the Omega cal 30T2SC, one of the best and
    highly prized of all Omega movements.
    It is impossible to appraise a watch from a single pic and no movement shot, but the
    watch looks in nice condition and chances are that the movement will be good too.
    Ask the vendor to open the case back so's you can assess the movement, if all looks
    well, no rust etc and you see Omega stamped on a bridge then you should snap it up
    as a 30T2 in this condition for this price is an absolute bargain.
    The cal number 30T2SC will be found under the balance wheel.

Thanks for the reply.

I gambled and bought it, movement unseen. Caseback is jammed and the young guy at the shop didn't want to force it. It has an Omega alligator strap in decent shape. It is not keeping time. The dial and hands resemble a 1941 Omega 30T2SC that I found thru google, except this watch is 37.5 mm.

I'm currently looking for someone local to work on the watch and I may have a very good lead on that.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

this could be a front loader so be careful , and find someone with knowledge of these watches

37.5mm...that's a nice size!!

That's excellent Tinyfrogs, I would have gambled on this watch as well.
    37.5mm is a bonus as this is what Omega collectors term 'oversize', they are rarer
    and more desirable than the standard 33mm watches of this time.
    Hopefully eveything will be well with the movement...I'm sure it will as the watch looks in nice
    condition, I like it.

I found my lead on a watchmaker on these forums: IWW. They are located only 30 miles away. Once I'm ready to get this watch fixed I hope I can bring it in person. I'd like to have them open the case immediately so I can see the guts myself and get some nice photos.

What do you think about me asking IWW to do a photoshoot?

That would be excellent if they could take some pics of your watches innards, I'm looking
    foward to some pics of the movement.

Think I found something over at the Omega Vintage Database:

Omega Ref. MI2325

"Case : round (37,5 mm diameter)...Also available in stainless steel under ref. MI 2325 (CHF 127.-)"

I would have bought it in a heartbeat,
    gatorcpa

Yeah, that case (in steel), crown, hands, and lugs look right.

The dial resembles CK2242 except mine doesn't say "swiss made" at the bottom and the text of Omega is unusual on mine, more slanted. A lot of the entries in that era say "This watch may have existed with different dials". There is another MI 2325 on WUS here. Mine was either overhauled at some point or stashed away because it looks a lot cleaner than the other one. I doubt the strap is original. It looks barely used. There is some broken stitching.

If only I could get the case open myself! It looks lightly scratched from previous attempts so I will leave it alone. It will be a while before I can get this into a shop.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information