Sicura Chrono Computer
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Sicura Chrono Computer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

Sicura Chrono Computer

Okay, from the sublime (the tiny Bulova one-button chrono), to the (not-so) ridiculous!
    I came into possession of this gigantic beauty today, and it is just breathtaking in every way.
    From it's size-46mm. wide, 45mm. high, to the four crowns, two controlling the two rotating inner rings, one for the chrono and one for winding/adjusting hands.
    The outer bezel ring rotates to work the slide rule, the orange off-set sub-seconds and centreal chrono hands shout "1970's!" as do thefunky hour and minute hands. I adore it.

Now, this is where I need help.
    The chrono minute hand in the centre re-sets to the 45 minute mark, and when I adjust the time, it moves around with the hour and minute hands.
    Also, I cannot get the case back off. Does it require a special tool, or is it a "snap back"? I do not want to try a case back knife until I find out, and when trying a case opening tool for a screw down it does not move.
    A little help please!
    Oh, and drool all you want!

Name:  IMG1022-1.jpg
Views: 1338
Size:  69.9 KBName:  IMG1023-1.jpg
Views: 1379
Size:  52.4 KBName:  IMG1025-1.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  97.3 KB
    marks55, OhDark30, kazrich and 1 others like this.

Re: Sicura Chrono Computer

Wow, look at all those dials and numbers! From an era when people understood and used slide rules.

I'm from that time slot, tells you about how old I am.

Just guessing, but the six circular depressions on the back side sure look like they are for a specific type of spanner. I'm thinking a screw back
    bobbee, OhDark30 and busmatt like this.
    " I like Chiken farming and old clock " --- Anon

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

I too am from that time, and remember too much especially the high waisted uber-flares!
    After some thought, I have put the watch on a genuine vintage Tropic 2000 vented rubber strap.
    Hope you like, Bob.
    :Name:  IMG1028-1.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  47.0 KB
    busmatt and IanCognito like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

This is indeed a screw back Sicura, usually though if you have the typical 3 prong opening tool, with the correct tips, you should be able to open this. Quite a marvel of a watch! Enjoy!
    bobbee likes this.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    ... four crowns, two controlling the two rotating inner rings, one for the chrono and one for winding/adjusting hands....

...Now, this is where I need help.
    The chrono minute hand in the centre re-sets to the 45 minute mark, and when I adjust the time, it moves around with the hour and minute hands.
    This is the Bettlach pin-lever movement with the constant-running flyback minute hand, right? (EB8806 or EB8816) The red 'crown' is actually a pusher to reset. I've seen this movement in 'yacht timer' styled watches by Sicura or Sorna, which are all about timing a 15 minute period leading into the start of a yacht race (or something like that). So I'm wondering if the reset to 45 is actually intentional, which would also explain the special marking for the 45-0 part of the bezel.

As for why it moves with the other hands when you set the time; I suspect that it being a very simple constant-running chrono system, that might be normal behaviour.
    Last edited by Chascomm; August 1st, 2014 at 09:55.
    bobbee likes this.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chascomm View Post
    This is the Bettlach pin-lever movement with the constant-running flyback minute hand, right? (EB8806 or EB8816) The red 'crown' is actually a pusher to reset. I've seen this movement in 'yacht timer' styled watches by Sicura or Sorna, which are all about timing a 15 minute period leading into the start of a yacht race (or something like that). So I'm wondering if the reset to 45 is actually intentional, which would also explain the special marking for the 45-0 part of the bezel.

As for why it moves with the other hands when you set the time; I suspect that it being a very simple constant-running chrono system, that might be normal behaviour.

After looking around on the web, I guess (when I can get the back open!) this will have the EB movement. I only have a cheap back opener, will take it to a local guy with more (and better) tools than me.

The constant minute timer, which had me fooled until I looked it up, should, by all accounts I have read, reset to 12 but as you say someone might have reset it to 45 for a reason. Thanks for comments all, I will look for adverts now!
    Bob.

I do have a soft spot for these watches after owning a few...

But... they do look like an excitable 6 year old has been able to design it....
    bobbee likes this.
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sparcster View Post
    I do have a soft spot for these watches after owning a few...

But... they do look like an excitable 6 year old has been able to design it....
    I agree that it is over the top design, but that was the seventies personified! Look at the musicians of the time, Marc Bolan, David Bowie/Ziggy Stardust, Slade, et al.
    Loud 'n Proud, I wore the platform shoes and the butterfly collar shirts, multi-colour tie-dyed of course!

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    I agree that it is over the top design, but that was the seventies personified! Look at the musicians of the time, Marc Bolan, David Bowie/Ziggy Stardust, Slade, et al.
    Loud 'n Proud, I wore the platform shoes and the butterfly collar shirts, multi-colour tie-dyed of course!
    I'm reminded of The Homer, 'the car built for Homer', from that episode of the Simpsons.
    bobbee likes this.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Banned

Got the back off, and it has the Bettlach EB8800 17 jewel mech. Very clean and tidy, but will clean and oil, and replace the cracked crystal.
    Bob.
    Chascomm likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information