Silver Half Hunter made by....???

Thread: Silver Half Hunter made by....???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Silver Half Hunter made by....???

I recently obtained a silver half hunter pocket watch and am trying to find out some info about it. From the hall marks I have found that the case was imported into London, the mechanism is Swiss made, the case is imported silver and brought into the UK in 1919 by George Stockwell. That is where my information ends. The "maker's" mark is what appears to be a man holding a watch riding on an airplane type contraption being pulled by three horses....? There is a serial number of 20508 with a J underneath. Do you know who the maker could be? Thank you for any assistance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Silver Half Hunter made by....???

Thanks for posting. I don't see any marks on the movement that can identify it. Sometimes there is something under the balance wheel or on the dial side of the movement, but very often it's impossible to tell who the maker was. The movement looks like an early 20th century Swiss one but otherwise...
    Perhaps some of our Euro experts will know more.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thanks for the reply. I think the secret is ID'ing the funky maker's mark....? You must admit, it is very distinctive.

The man riding on the "airplane" is holding a pocket watch out stretched in his hand and the "plane" is being drawn by three horses..............??? I didn't think many makers would have a logo like that..?

The movement is Swiss, the silver is imported by George Stockwell in 1919, the watch appears well made but the maker is a mystery........???

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

An interesting watch. How did you come by it?
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

The logo on the case may just be a case maker's or jeweler's logo. It's hard to ID a watch from case markings. The best thing is that the silver hallmarks are often a clue as to the age of the watch.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by poolej View Post
    The man riding on the "airplane" is holding a pocket watch out stretched in his hand and the "plane" is being drawn by three horses..............??? I didn't think many makers would have a logo like that..?

The movement is Swiss, the silver is imported by George Stockwell in 1919, the watch appears well made but the maker is a mystery........???
    You might try posting it on one or more of the forums that deal specifically with silvermakers marks. For example:

http://www.smpub.com/cgi-bin/ubb/Ult...assCookie=true

http://www.silver-collector.com/index.php
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Quote Originally Posted by Shangas View Post
    An interesting watch. How did you come by it?

I inherited it from my mother's estate, she has an English background and has had the watch for years.

Thanks for the info, I will try that.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrick View Post
    You might try posting it on one or more of the forums that deal specifically with silvermakers marks. For example:

http://www.smpub.com/cgi-bin/ubb/Ult...assCookie=true

http://www.silver-collector.com/index.php

Confused Re: Silver Half Hunter made by....???

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    The logo on the case may just be a case maker's or jeweler's logo. It's hard to ID a watch from case markings. The best thing is that the silver hallmarks are often a clue as to the age of the watch.

I guess one question I am asking is, "Does anybody know who this mark/logo belongs to?" The second question was stated befor, "Who made the watch?"

So far what I think I understand is, the case was made by one company, the movement made by a swiss company, the watch was put together by perhaps a third company and then the watch was imported into the UK by Stockwell who sent it to the assay office, had it stamped and then sold it as the fourth party involved...? Vey confusing this pocketwatch stuff...! lol

Normally the movement and case were separate products and the final casing may have been done at a jeweler.
    The case may have been made abroad but certainly the silver in it was analyzed and stamped by the London assay office.
    After close to 90 years sometimes the detective work can be complicated, or impossible.
    You do know the approximate date of your watch, which is a lot more than many owners of Swiss made pocket watches know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information