Silver pocket watch
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Silver pocket watch

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    pjd

Silver pocket watch

Hello,

Last weekend I bought an old pocket watch from an antique shop. It was in a hell of a state and did not work at all. I paid £15 for it.

It has a stem wind and a button you have to press at the same time you turn the stem to adjust the time.
    The movement is signed as London made. It is engraved with "Waghorn bros Croydon."
    I believe the case was hallmarked in 1902.

When I got it, the case did not snap shut and someone had stuck blue tac inside to hold it closed, presumably for sale.
    I have dismantled, cleaned and oiled it. Once reassembled, it ran brilliantly and has continued to do so. My only concern is it does gain time. It seems to gain time more when the main spring is running down.

Over a day, what is acceptable time gain for an old pocket watch?

From my point of view I am delighted with it. To think it did not work at all when I got it and now it works and I have managed to adjust the case to the point that it closes I am very happy.

It is missing the loop for the chain, can anyone advise the correct terminology for this part as I would like to replace it.

Thanks.

Phil.

Re: Silver pocket watch

The loop you are refering to is called a "Bow". Also, usually a watch running fast means it probably needs serviced. Oils can dry out and cause things to stick which makes things work harder to keep time. Just a loop of the hairspring sticking together will cause it to run faster. It acts like your tightening it with the adjuster. A service will probably get it running much better.
    Bobby - My original music! Check me out! Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...11CC8CC6093D80

The loop above the crown (where the chain clips on) is indeed called a 'bow' (as in a bow and arrow).

Always PRESS THE CROWN, close the lid, and then release the crown, when closing a hunter case watch.

Snapping the case shut wears out the clasp. And if you don't believe me, just find any cheap, old busted hunter-case watch and look at how worn out the case-lid is.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

pjd

Thanks for the information.
    I will take another look but I have completely dismantled the watch. When I got it, it didn't work at all. I have cleaned and oiled it to the best of my ability. I am a novice though and trying to teach myself. I was quite pleased to get it to this stage if I am honest.

The crown does not press in on this one. I guess it was probably quite a cheap one when new as my other pocket watches all have crowns that press in to make the case open/close easier. Only this one does not.
    I will take another look at the hair spring.

What is considered normal time gain/loss for an old pocket watch? I know that they aren't perfectly accurate anyway.

That depends entirely on the quality of the watch. Generally, larger watches keep better time overall, because their larger size makes fine-tuning the regulator much easier. Higher quality watches generally keep better time because of the higher quality parts used in the movement.

My daily carry watch is a 1950s Ball railroad pcoketwatch made in Switzerland. It is keeping pinpoint-accurate time right now, and I haven't reset it in at least two weeks. But we're talking about the higher end of watches here. A 7-jewel Waltham won't keep the same time, no matter how hard you try and make it (believe me, I've tried).

The old standard for railroad accuracy was +/- 30 seconds a week.
    busmatt likes this.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Just thinking out loud here, but could it be magnetised?

Matt

Brought to you by HYPNOTOAD
    " I can't wear this uniform, without some compromises "
    Chesney Hawkes

"I larf, I Larf, I wee I pants, I make I leg go rusty."
    ​Me

pjd

I think I counted maybe four jewels?

Magnetised.. Hmm, possibly it is. The hair spring is spotless and appears undamaged.. I know someone with a demagnetiser so will ask if I can borrow it and give it a try.

Thanks.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pjd View Post
    I think I counted maybe four jewels?
    Did you include the pallet and roller in your count?

What's the amplitude of the balance? If you don't have a machine a guess would help.

Also how does the amplitude at full power compare to when it is running fast?

pjd

Sorry guys, I am a complete novice and am learning by doing. Can you explain what you mean by the amplitude of the balance and I will check.
    As far as I can remember only the balance wheel and the pallet were jewelled. I should have taken pictures. In fact, thinking about it I think there was another wheel that was jewelled as well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information