Skeleton dial watch advice

Thread: Skeleton dial watch advice

Skeleton dial watch advice

So apart from a vintage Certina that I am after at the moment. I want to buy another one with a skeleton dial style. To be hones I like the Omega Skeleton Central Turbillon but that's out of my budget for now.

I am looking mainly for a 60 - 80's watch (modern ones will be taken in consideration as well) and I prefer Swiss ones.

Can I find something for about 50 pounds (sh is fine, especially if is a vintage one)? How about rotary as a brand?

Thanks

Re: Skeleton dial watch advice

While I'm sure they exist, skeleton watches really weren't all that common in the 60's to 80's. ANd honestly, why would they? Mechanical movements were the common standard; showing off the movement would have made as much sense as putting a glass hood on your car and engraving the engine block. Everyone else had the same thing, so they wouldn't be interested. Now, of course, mechanicals are rare and unusual, so there's more value in showing them off.

That said, there were always some if you look hard enough. Just be aware that many of the "vintage" skeleton watches are modern creations. Be especially wary of large skeleton watches originating in the Ukraine; they're mostly reworked pocket watches that have been butchered by opportunistic people looking to cash in on a fad.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thanks mate. I saw recently somebody posted an Omega skeleton watch converted from a pocket one.

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    While I'm sure they exist, skeleton watches really weren't all that common in the 60's to 80's. ANd honestly, why would they? Mechanical movements were the common standard; showing off the movement would have made as much sense as putting a glass hood on your car and engraving the engine block. Everyone else had the same thing, so they wouldn't be interested. Now, of course, mechanicals are rare and unusual, so there's more value in showing them off.

That said, there were always some if you look hard enough. Just be aware that many of the "vintage" skeleton watches are modern creations. Be especially wary of large skeleton watches originating in the Ukraine; they're mostly reworked pocket watches that have been butchered by opportunistic people looking to cash in on a fad.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

any others suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by LoveSexAndDrugs View Post
    any others suggestions?
    Real skeleton watches are rare. Most are Ukrainian Chop Shop victims.

The last one I've seen is the MST (built as a skeleton) used in the Cricket Club. But you won't find one for any where near what you are willing to pay.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

I see.. well honest i had a feeling that would cost much more than i can pay for at the moment. I guess i will go for a modern one. thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Real skeleton watches are rare. Most are Ukrainian Chop Shop victims.

The last one I've seen is the MST (built as a skeleton) used in the Cricket Club. But you won't find one for any where near what you are willing to pay.

Thread Information