Slightly loose movement, is my remedy okay?

Thread: Slightly loose movement, is my remedy okay?

Slightly loose movement, is my remedy okay?

Hi,

I have a watch where the movement was ever so slightly loose in the case, with a bit of play so that it moved about a little bit when the watch is re-oriented. I think it's like that because the edge of the case near the crown has worn and there's a slight gap now between crown and case edge. To remedy it, I cut down two small sections of (light brown parcel) rubber band lengthwise and slotted them in the gap between the movement (holder) and the inside edge of the case. Screwed the back on again and it seems to have done the trick, but my question is, will it be okay like that? Is there any way it could be harmful to the movement, and what other (easy) alternatives are there please? Any help much appreciated .

Cheers
    Last edited by billybobman; December 2nd, 2010 at 18:58.

Re: Slightly loose movement, is my remedy okay?

It is not professional grade but the fix sounds harmless. You may have to replace the rubberband material in a few years.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Banned

Sounds like a better fix than used chewing gum or toothpicks. Better shock absorption too!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Haha, yeah I thought that about the shock absorption too. Incabloc, eat your heart out (it does have incabloc as well, thankfully)! And yeah I also thought I might have to replace the rubber after a time as I know rubber perishes and degrades, thanks for the input .
    Last edited by billybobman; December 3rd, 2010 at 07:48.

Is this a wristwatch? Normally, there's a "ring" that sits between the movment and the case that gives it a tight(er) fit and prevents it from moving...is it possible that this ring is missing on your watch? Pictures!
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    Is this a wristwatch? Normally, there's a "ring" that sits between the movment and the case that gives it a tight(er) fit and prevents it from moving...is it possible that this ring is missing on your watch? Pictures!
    Yes it's a wristwatch, if you mean the movement holder/ring, it's definitely present. It's made of metal and has several little tabs or lugs that can be bent up or down. It was actually nice to see a metal one rather than plastic, as a sign of good quality. Here's a picture of the movement/watch in question (pre rubber band fix), it's an FHF 28. I was pleasantly surprised to see it in there, as I had no FHF movement watches up until now (well I did have a Roamer with one but it got knackered and I sold it as a repair). I like the fact that the movement is signed with the watch brand name, Bernex, and it has quite a long regulating arm. It's from the 50s and I think it's of a slightly higher quality than some of the ones FHF made later on in the 70s. Also I like the bridge design. Seems okay now with my rubber band fix, but thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by billybobman; December 3rd, 2010 at 18:38.

Thread Information