Small Dubois 1785 Watch - can you help?

Thread: Small Dubois 1785 Watch - can you help?

Small Dubois 1785 Watch - can you help?

I am brand new to collecting watches; I decided that I missed wearing a watch, and that, given my profession, it made sense to have a watch that broadcast "successful but not showy." So this started as a practical matter. But then I started looking at watches, and, well, I'm hoping the obsession wears off soon! :)

In the meantime, I am hoping someone can help me learn more about a watch I saw on eBay and fell in love with. The logo says "Dubois 1785," and on the back it says "Stainless Steel Back," "Waterproof Swiss Made," Antimagnetic Shock Protected," and "3474." On one of the lugs it says "Plaque G20 MB." It measures between 23-24 mm without the crown. When wound, it works.

I'd like to know:
    - how old it is.
    - whether the crown is probably original, as the case is gold-colored, but the crown is silver (is it possible all the gold-plating has just worn off?).
    - whether it's actually a women's watch or just a small men's watch, as I can find NO images of vintage (i.e., pre-rebranding) Dubois women's watches.
    - what, if anything, it might be worth.

In addition, as this is first watch I've ever owned that must be wound, I'd like not to overwind it! What's a reasonable number of turns to make sure it keeps time for at least 24 hours?

I have tried researching the company on the web, but have only learned that it was recently sold and rebranded, and that there are a few for sale on chrono24.com.

I have read a number of posts on WUS over the past few weeks, and I have been impressed by the collegiality of many of the members, as well as the generosity many have in sharing their expertise. While I have no expertise to provide in return, I appreciate a great deal any help anyone might provide.

Finally, I originally posted this in the Ladies' Watches forum, as when I bought the watch, it was described as a women's watch, but based on the response I got from coastcat, I think it's probably a boy's watch.

Thank you!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Small Dubois 1785 Watch - can you help?

That's a nice looking watch and almost certainly 1950s. In those days, even gents wore small watches so I don't think that it is a ladies watch (those were usually tiny, rather decorative, frequently not circular and generally lacked a seconds hand). I think you are right: the crown is original and has just lost the plating. DuBois et Fils 1785 is an old company, originally in Le Locle, I believe, that has petered out somewhere along the way. Nowadays, you can get watches under that name very reasonably priced via catalogues or flyers in magazines but this is just a brand now owned by another company. I am not sure who is behind it these days.

Hartmut Richter

Thank you so much, Hartmut. I'm curious - what constitutes "very reasonably priced?"

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Also, you can read about the recent (this year) changes at Dubois et fils on their website, Home | DuBois et fils, or about their "relaunch" here: DuBois et Fils, Oldest Watch Factory in Switzerland, “Crowdfunds” Its Revival | Perpetuelle

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

That's talking about the modern watches. By that, I mean e.g. ca. 1000 Euros for a Valjoux 7751 automatic chronograph with full calendar and moonphase. Probably not a record but hard to beat.

Hartmut Richter

Thank you!!

Not seen many Dubois watches about i have this one and wear it often mine is a Dubois Freres which i think means Dupois brothers they were a very old Swiss watch maker with history but not well documented, i have been told the name is pronounced 'dup-wa'

Name:  061213.JPG
Views: 421
Size:  67.9 KB

Thread Information