Small Ladies lever-fusee
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Small Ladies lever-fusee

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Small Ladies lever-fusee

At 38mm without the pendant this is the smallest fusee watch I own. I just finished restoring it. Many thanks to members radger and Joe Horner for helping sort out a tricky problem .

It came without crystal, minute hand and wasn't working. The basic problems were a missing impulse jewel and cracked hole jewel in the potence. After fixing the movement I made a new minute hand, put a new acrylic crystal and here are the results.

Here is the 7 jewel movement.

I never polish the case on these. The case was dismantled, all the steel parts had some tea , case was thoroughly cleaned and then reassembled.

Birmingham 1886

Since there is no seconds hand it has half minute marks.

Kind regards

Aditya

Re: Small Ladies lever-fusee

Nice work Aditya,
    I see the regulator is set pretty much in the middle,so plenty of life left in this old timer?

A gread job on a smal watch
    It's a pleasure for me to see that you rescue with much effort a ladys watch.

Kind regards Silke
    That's what I think about today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGeY7MWVo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SilkeN View Post
    A gread job on a smal watch
    It's a pleasure for me to see that you rescue with much effort a ladys watch.

Kind regards Silke
    Thanks, I love these old fusees!

Quote Originally Posted by Apollonaught View Post
    Nice work Aditya,
    I see the regulator is set pretty much in the middle,so plenty of life left in this old timer?
    Thanks! I have not tested it fully yet. So far -30 secs in 15 hours. The amplitude is good and all the holes were in good condition. So I am hopeful. Of course, now that it is in my care it will be regularly serviced!

Kind regards

Aditya

I am impressed. Kudos to you
    adam
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    I am impressed. Kudos to you
    adam
    Thanks Adam!

Quote Originally Posted by aditya View Post
    Thanks Adam!
    Credit where its due.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Nice work on this old watch Aditya and great to see it brought back to life.
    I think that this watch has seen little use and is in very nice condition.

Did you count the number of service marks on the case?

I just cleared my 1838 Arnold and Dent fusee from my bench and that old watch has been well used,
    very well used, the case has numerous service marks fifteen or more.

It interested me to delve into areas usualy unseen, when working on that old watch.
    The numerous repairs, made by long since gone watchmakers, one of whom had rebushed a hole slightly
    off center and had punched it over leaving three tiny pock marks on the plate as a tell tale.

The 'pigs ear' gouges under the balance cock left as some repairman had adjusted the endshake, on the balance, the 'easy' way.
    This method of adjusting the end shake by raising burrs with a graver was definately common practice in times gone by, I've saw it too many times
    on wristwatches too.
    Watchmakers of old were not always using best practice when servicing and repairing watches, that's for sure but they had kept
    that old watch going for over a hundred years I'd think.

Quote Originally Posted by radger View Post
    The 'pigs ear' gouges under the balance cock left as some repairman had adjusted the endshake, on the balance, the 'easy' way.
    This method of adjusting the end shake by raising burrs with a graver was definately common practice in times gone by, I've saw it too many times
    on wristwatches too.
    Watchmakers of old were not always using best practice when servicing and repairing watches, that's for sure but they had kept
    You often see that repair technique on old clocks... oh well.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by radger View Post
    Nice work on this old watch Aditya and great to see it brought back to life.
    I think that this watch has seen little use and is in very nice condition.

Did you count the number of service marks on the case?

I just cleared my 1838 Arnold and Dent fusee from my bench and that old watch has been well used,
    very well used, the case has numerous service marks fifteen or more.

It interested me to delve into areas usualy unseen, when working on that old watch.
    The numerous repairs, made by long since gone watchmakers, one of whom had rebushed a hole slightly
    off center and had punched it over leaving three tiny pock marks on the plate as a tell tale.

on wristwatches too.
    You are right in assuming that this movement is relatively unmolested. I suppose the jewels broke early in it's life and then it was put in a drawer. The crystal broke either during the 'event' or in the drawer. There are none of the usual signs of 'repair' you describe. I understand your neutral attitude to these practices. After all, these watches were not always the precious antiques that they are to us today. Add to that the pressures of a quick and affordable job.

The only questionable repair I noticed is that the hole in the barrel bridge has been punched. This is something I have never understood. I see this in a lot of fusee movements. And yet, how does this hole wear out? The barrel arbour never moves (except for set up), so what causes the wear?

I am not home tonight, so I will document the service marks tomorrow.

Kind regards

Aditya

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information