Thread: Smiths Empire - 5 Jewels

Smiths Empire - 5 Jewels

Hey guys,

My dad has in his possession his granddads old mechanical watch. It's made by Smiths Empire and has a hand-wind 5 jewels movement in it. Does anyone know much about this make? I'm guessing it's a cheap mass-produced thing but I'd still like to get it looking nice again especially as my Dad did wear it whilst decorating.... The watch crystal is plastic I believe and pretty badly scratched so I'd like to try and replace or restore it. The main watch case could do with a damn good clean to remove all the years of gunk and paint it has acquired over the years. Could also do with new spring bars and a nice leather strap. So to my main question is how would I begin? I've never done any jewellery cleaning before so I hoped someone could point me in the right direction on how to go about it?

I'll upload some pictures tomorrow when the sun is back out if anyone wants to see them

Cheers guys!

Re: Smiths Empire - 5 Jewels

You may find these 2 links of interest.

eBay.co.uk Guides - A GUIDE TO BUYING A SMITHS WATCH FOR PLEASURE OR PROFIT

Information

and this HOW TO CLEAN AND OIL A VINTAGE MECHANICAL WRIST WATCH OR POCKET WATCH REPAIR describes how to remove the movement from the case if you want to clean the case.

Good luck.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by digitalxni View Post
    My dad has in his possession his granddads old mechanical watch. It's made by Smiths Empire and has a hand-wind 5 jewels movement in it. Does anyone know much about this make?
    Smiths Empire watches were made by the Anglo-Celtic watch company in Ystradgynlais, Wales; a joint venture between Smiths and Ingersoll. The factory was in operation from 1948 until 1980. The Smiths Empire brand was used until the mid 1950s, after which the watches were simply called 'Smiths'. Smiths also had their own factory in England that made much higher grade watches.

Here is my Smiths Empire:

Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

pics would be great just to have a look at

Apologies for these terrible pictures. Turns out phone cameras really are rubbish!

Name:  IMAG0119.jpg
Views: 4026
Size:  175.6 KB

Name:  IMAG0114.jpg
Views: 4178
Size:  113.2 KB

Also just to add, it's very cool to know that this watch could be 50 years old and is still going strong.

Thats what I like about watches, still work after so many years if looked after

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

I love the dial on yours. The case is the same as mine. Watches with this movement and case were produced for both Smiths and Ingersoll, and also for Services and probably some private labels.

The 5 jewel RY movement was available with either a sweep second hand or a subsidiary one at 6 o'clock. Either way it is indirectly run, but this being a Roskopf-type movement, the indirect-seconds wheel is of equal diameter, and running off, the '4th' wheel, so it will never develop the stutter that can afflict some more expensive movements of that era.

Enough technobabble, here's a really terrible picture:

(notice the blued screws!)
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

I really like the long, thing second hand with the red pointer on the end. I honestly don't know how well this watch has been looked after and I doubt the case back has even been removed for the last 12 years or so. As I am such a beginner with mechanical watches I think I might have to take this to a watch shop and get them to have a look at it for me.

I have this same movement in my Ingersoll. It has the same wibbly side and blued bits as well as the brass bit to hold it all in place (Clearly i'm a noob). I have no sweep second hand though. looking at the top of the watch i cannot see where it would fit. Does the watch in the photo have a sweep second? I figured the watch was old by looking at it, my research attempts suggests 1948-1952, i picked it up for £18 on ebay and it's proved to be the most accurate jeweled watch i own (1- 2 minutes a day slow). I have some 17J Pobeda/ZIM/Raketa (different movements) and none are as accurate. Maybe because they need servicing though.

Not sure if i'm allowed to link but here goes:
    vintage mans watch | eBay

Thread Information