Snagged one of my 'grail' watches... - Page 2

Thread: Snagged one of my 'grail' watches...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Snagged one of my 'grail' watches...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    Hi -

Lovely!

I just got a Gruen that is definitely from 1939.

How can I tell? Because it was a prize from Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer for the Wisconsin State Bowling Championship of that year, awarded to a certain B. Barkow. I've contacted the Wisconsin State Bowling Association to find out more about the championship and the extremely elusive B. Barkow...

The seller's pictures were so bad that I won't inflict them on you here. But I won't have time until next Friday to take pictures...I'm posting from work right now.

JohnF
    John,

Berthold Barkow
    b. 1904
    Ozaukee, Wisconsin

Bert Barkow (son?)
    b. 1944
    d. 2007
    Purchasing Manager
    Medico-Mart
    Waukesha, Wisconsin

Note in ABC Bowling Hall of Fame:
    RUSS GERSONDE
    Milwaukee, Wis.
    Born: Sept. 15, 1907
    Died: March 14, 1989
    Inducted 1968 A one-time ABC champion, Gersonde was one of the tallest of the leading bowlers at 6-4 1/2. He bowled on Milwaukees best teams for many years. Gersonde won 12 major doubles titles, seven with Bert Barkow, four with fellow Hall of Famer Frank Benkovic and one with Ernie Imse. His five Wisconsin B.A. all-events titles is an all-time record.
    I think this is your guy.

The Barkow family name is ubiquitous in Wisconsin, far more there than any other state. Their ancestors immigrated to Wisconsin from Germany in the 1800s (I'd guess). The only Bert Barkow listed on Switchboard in Wisconsin is:

Bert E. Barkow
    N107W14083 OVERLOOK CT
    GERMANTOWN, WI 53022
    (262) 250-0928

Germantown, Waukesha, and Ozaukee are all outlying suburbs of Milwaukee. This appears to be the phone listing for the Bert Barkow who passed away last year (same age) - - the guy who might be the son of your "B. Barkow."

This is from the U.S. Social Security Death Index:

Berthold Barkow
    Birth Date.....24 Aug 1904
    Death Date...26 Oct 1988
    SocSecNo.....391-14-8815
    State Where Issues..Wisconsin
    Death Residence ZIP...53216 (Milwaukee)

A phone call to the above number might confirm that the father of the Bert Barkow who just passed away was a bowler also named Bert.
    Last edited by pacifichrono; September 28th, 2008 at 19:52.
    Regards from Sunny San Diego..........Tom

As the case is only 1.98mm thick, its way to thin for a standard winder. To alter the time there is a pusher on the back

Hi -

The bowling organization got back to me a few minutes ago, the president knew him well as a friend of his fathers, more info to come!

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    Hi -

The bowling organization got back to me a few minutes ago, the president knew him well as a friend of his fathers, more info to come!

JohnF
    That's great news, John. You will now be able to "document" your watch and add some color and history to it! I assume the original recipient was Berthold (Bert) Barkow?
    Regards from Sunny San Diego..........Tom

Hi -

Yep, Bert.

This is gonna be fun...

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Quote Originally Posted by gjlelec View Post

After refurb

I've seen many refurbments but THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST WORK I'VE EVER SEEN!!!

Congrats to you and a big big hat-off for Longines!

This is why it's too bad we ain't got no Longines sub-thread
    -Blaise-

Thanks, i'm glad you like the Longines. Before i was fortunate to obtain this watch, i contacted the archive dept at Longines with various (what must seem banal to them) questions. Not only were they happy to discuss the watches, commenting on the faults encountered at the servicing stage etc and the spares situation but they also send me (FOC) a magazine with a feature relating to "the leaf of gold" and copies of the original literature/prices etc from the 80s. As far as i'm aware Longines appear to have all the spares for these virtually 30 years after they were produced.
    To put this into context, i primarily collect geek watches (Omega 70s leds) I cajooled , nagged, pleaded, begged Omega for years regarding a rare led i was trying to find information on, only to be told consistently by various people at Bienne that the records didnt exist. It was only after loaning them a watch for the museum and getting limited access to the Curator that the evidence i was after slowly appeared. Longines would wipe the floor with them IMO. Hard to believe they are all part of the same conglomerate
    Last edited by gjlelec; September 29th, 2008 at 23:45.

Great to hear that Longies been so helpful! One of my best friends just graduated to be a lawyer and he was always keen on Longines so I though for his graduation I could get him a nice vintage-ish one as a dress watch that he can wear at court with the suit. Since I spent some months away from home (and the graduation party was in June) I had some time to get the watch and just a couple of days before I came home I bought one from the bay.
    Took it to my watchmaker when it arrived, he did a complete refurbish on it (cleaned and polished the case, dissembled and cleaned oiled the movement, cleaned the dial, attached a nice Morellato leather band etc.) Even though it has a quartz movement, it's a nice watch and my friends is not much of a WIS so for him a watch that never stops was the best way to go...

Why I'm telling you this is, since I digged myself into Longines while searching I came across the realization that I love them pretty much and now that I know the company is so helpful I'll be happy to acquire one and turn to the "mother-company" if any problems occur.

here are some pics of his Longines

thanks for reading and thanks for the info gjlelec!!
    -Blaise-

I like the idea of a seperate Longines forum, after all Longines didnt become "the worlds most honoured watch company" for no reason

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information