Snagged: Seeland 3 button Landeron 47
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Snagged: Seeland 3 button Landeron 47

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Snagged: Seeland 3 button Landeron 47

Finally managed to snag a 1937(ish) Landeron 47, 3 button chronograph to my collection - it has survived its 77(ish) years fairly well. The copper telemeter ring on the dial is very nice and bright in person, but photography isn't one of my skills.

The crown pusher resets.

Unfortunately the distinctive 47 coupling clutch is missing, but the movement is otherwise running and in good condition. The Landeron tech sheet indicates the 48 coupling clutch will fit, sadly it does look different - but I suspect I'll be waiting a long time for one from a 47 to come along, so one from a 48 will do in the mean-time.

Yet another watch for my service queue.

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Landeron 47

Re: Snagged: Seeland 3 button Landeron 47

Hi Trim,
    Dial looks great and hope you will get into good order soon. Wonderful for you to have a new Seeland in New Zealand if you get my meaning. Actually by coincidence I have a Seeland bumper on the way. Enjoy.

Regards,

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

Beautiful dial.
    Mikrolisk has this on Seeland;
    Mikrolisk - The horological trade mark index

And this on the Easton Watch Co.
    Mikrolisk - The horological trade mark index

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Looking good - that dial is truly excellent. Good to see you back and posting again.

Great piece, congratulations! The dial really is in excellent condition, given its age. They don't come to us like that very often (By the way, first I thought 'hey, another instance of the copper-ring Landeron watch', but now on closer inspection I realise that it has actually a scale on the copper ring. This is unusual - the ones I met with so far look more like this:

Here you can see what dials of the age often look like. I could have it replaced but I didn't want to take away the watch's soul - after all, you wouldn't really need the tachymetre-scale too much these days )

As per the movement, as far as I know the parts missing from your watch are interchangeable with the respective items in the Landeron 48 indeed. Have a look yourself:

Landeron 47

Landeron 48

Hope this helps you a bit!

Best,
    Tomcat
    jackruff, bobbee and radger like this.
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

Quote Originally Posted by Paleotime View Post
    Looking good - that dial is truly excellent. Good to see you back and posting again.
    Thanks! Seems I go into hibernation over winter - come spring and I get interesting in working on them again. I guess it's just too dark after work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat1960 View Post
    By the way, first I thought 'hey, another instance of the copper-ring Landeron watch', but now on closer inspection I realise that it has actually a scale on the copper ring. This is unusual...
    Yes, that was one of the things that attracted me to it (although being a 47 I would likely have bought it no matter what). The coupling clutch from a 48 will fit, but it is distinctively different in looks. I will live with that - its the only thing missing besides 2 screws.

Is that 47 yours?

I am happy to finally have the granddaddy of the ubiquitous x48 family and first of all cam switched chronographs.
    Last edited by trim; October 21st, 2014 at 23:46.

Thanks! Seems I go into hibernation over winter - come spring and I get interesting in working on them again. I guess it's just too dark after work.
    Vice versa for me...Fieldwork usually keeps me rolling all summer. The work slow-down in the winter means bench time for me.

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    (...) Is that 47 yours? (...)
    Yes, it is. I pulled it off the bay with a broken stem and missing crown (making it really cheap ) and was able to source one from France at the same time. I sent both to my watchmaker. She reworked a pocket watch crown of a distinctive 'bowl' shape, but I'm fine with it as it winds comfortably and allows the reset functionality of the crown pusher to work as intended.

Sometimes you have to compromise.

And I agree with you: the L/47 is absolutely collectible. Here is where the story of many descendant chronograph movements starts, not the least of which are the Lemania 861 (of 'Moonwatch' fame) and the now-ubiquitous Valjoux/ETA 7750. And it was produced for only about 8 months before it was replaced by the hugely successful L/48. Less than 20,000 were made. (Exact figures are hard to come by because apparently very late L/47s received the L/48's dual-button chronograph mechanism, which technically made them early 48s. Still, some count them to the 47s.)

Best,
    Tomcat
    Last edited by Tomcat1960; October 22nd, 2014 at 07:47.
    bobbee and radger like this.

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

Managed to find a proper Landeron 47 coupling clutch and the two missing screws. Note the extra protrusion on the coupling clutch as pointed to by the arrow.

Now to service and remove the broken coupling clutch screw that someone left me as a present in the train bridge.
    Last edited by trim; November 12th, 2014 at 07:01.

Cool - I never realised that, honestly, because it looks all the same in my Chronographe Suisse (which then, apparently, holds a very early L/48):

It confirms what we presume about how Landeron ran their production: they used up what was there. I can only assume that the protrusion served a purpose on the (three-pushered) 47, but was no longer necessary in the 48. But then, maybe it has nothing to do with the three pushers but gave additional control about the slack of the clutch (i.e. the 'leeway' between clutch and case). Rough, but works

Best,
    Tomcat

(Roland Ranfft)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information