So Whats the story with older Ricoh Watches..Rarely see them discussed.
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: So Whats the story with older Ricoh Watches..Rarely see them discussed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question So Whats the story with older Ricoh Watches..Rarely see them discussed.

Hey folks..So what is the skinny on vintage Ricoh wristwatches? Are they good , bad or indifferent movement wise? Anyone know? They seem to look like the Japanese version of the Rado. I like the looks of many of them that arent over the top with the dial. Im looking at one with a sort of ovoid shape case, with a simple color dial. Some are very flashy. And I will sadly avoid Indian dealers which is limiting, but still possible for sure. Did the Japanese market them primarily in Southeast Asia? Back to the point. Ricoh quality? Their own movements? etc. Any and all responses and welcome. Anyone with Ricoh experience? And so on and so on. Hopefully, thanks in advance. Happy holidays, P&P

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Re: So Whats the story with older Ricoh Watches..Rarely see them discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by parrotandpitbull View Post
    Hey folks..So what is the skinny on vintage Ricoh wristwatches? Are they good , bad or indifferent movement wise? Anyone know? They seem to look like the Japanese version of the Rado. I like the looks of many of them that arent over the top with the dial. Im looking at one with a sort of ovoid shape case, with a simple color dial. Some are very flashy. And I will sadly avoid Indian dealers which is limiting, but still possible for sure. Did the Japanese market them primarily in Southeast Asia? Back to the point. Ricoh quality? Their own movements? etc. Any and all responses and welcome. Anyone with Ricoh experience? And so on and so on. Hopefully, thanks in advance. Happy holidays, P&P
    As I understand it, at least some of the Indian Ricohs are actually made in India with Japanese movement, so if you do get into collecting Ricohs in a big way then at some point you're going to have to deal with the Indians.

And if you're into really old Ricoh watches, then look for 'Takano'; the brand they used before Ricoh, I think.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Quote Originally Posted by Chascomm View Post
    And if you're into really old Ricoh watches, then look for 'Takano'; the brand they used before Ricoh, I think.
    Something I didn't know.

Found this RICOH & TAKANO - Master Entry [Ad Scans here] in Japanese Watch Info Database. Forum which is full of information, old ads, example watches etc including:

It is not stated outright, but implied, that Ricoh took over (bought out) the ailing Takano firm.

Takano faces the threat of bankruptcy around the summer of 1961.

On May 8, 1962, Kiyoshi Ichimura assumes the position of the president of "Reason laboratory optical industry (present Ricoh)", and the president of Takano Co., Ltd. Or, as another translation says, "May 1962, appointed President and CEO of Precision Industrial Co., Takano." He changes the name of the company to "Ricoh Watch Ltd." on July 26 of the same year [or from the Ricoh Fact Book, "Ricoh Tokei Co., Ltd." in August '62]. The brand "Takano" is scheduled to disappear after 11 months & four years. Based on the Sept. 1957 date given as start of public sale of Takanos, this brings us to August of 1962. "Presently" [at least up to the date of posting in the Hokkaido Watch Museum site & the 2006 Ricoh Fact Book], the company is known as Ricoh Elemex Corporation - that name change made in April, 1986.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks. Yeh, right after I wrote the post, I went looking and read what seems to be the same article you quote from Marrick. I think it was the The lovers of all things Seiko Forum. Something like that. Yes, interesting info..but not what Im really looking for. Not that I dont appreciate your efforts! I would really like to hear tell of personal experiences with the Brand.
    There was an interesting reference to the purchase of Rado movements. But the writer was not sure if the translation was correct.( Another fascinating fact was that they were majority owned by Hamilton for some years in the 60s.) So it seems they bought their movements but from whom? Its implied that it might be Rado or Rako, thats where the translation confusion comes in.
    Still would like to know if anyone has owned one and how they performed..before I take the plunge. Or what the heck. They can be bought pretty inexpensively. And they have the look Im interested in style wise.

Quote Originally Posted by parrotandpitbull View Post
    Thanks. Yeh, right after I wrote the post, I went looking and read what seems to be the same article you quote from Marrick. I think it was the The lovers of all things Seiko Forum. Something like that. Yes, interesting info..but not what Im really looking for. Not that I dont appreciate your efforts! I would really like to hear tell of personal experiences with the Brand.
    There was an interesting reference to the purchase of Rado movements. But the writer was not sure if the translation was correct.( Another fascinating fact was that they were majority owned by Hamilton for some years in the 60s.) So it seems they bought their movements but from whom? Its implied that it might be Rado or Rako, thats where the translation confusion comes in.
    Still would like to know if anyone has owned one and how they performed..before I take the plunge. Or what the heck. They can be bought pretty inexpensively. And they have the look Im interested in style wise.
    I have a steel 1970s Ricoh, nice Japan made handwound watch with Ricoh 551 movement, works very well.
    Vanitas vanitatum et omnia vanitas, praeter ...

HEres a PIC of my 60's Ricoh Name:  1395992148736.jpg
Views: 4473
Size:  21.5 KBName:  20140324_150853.jpg
Views: 4544
Size:  265.0 KB

This is an old thread... I have since sold the gilt case one, and the one I am keeping works well. That said, I only have the chance to have Durowe/INT-powered Ricohs, so I cannot vouch for others.

I had always wondered if Ricoh had any connection with the cameras of the same name. They weren't the best cameras in town,

but the watches certainly seem o.k. Incidentally, Seiko also had a hand in the camera industry, they made some fabulous

shutters and lenses.

I thought Ricoh made sewing machines...
    marks55 likes this.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    I thought Ricoh made sewing machines...
    Sewing machines? I thought it was stainless steel pencil extensions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information