Some help here please

Thread: Some help here please

Exclamation Some help here please

Hello Watchmen!

i have a watch that i have as a legacy from my brother he passed away now for like 40 years and i think the watch is from 1800-1900 and i can't find annything about the brand Zola only the writer and that he had a watch that was given as a present to him. So hope you could help me out.

Some Details:

Brand:Zola
    Material:18k gold, 17jewels, Swiss Made

Re: Some help here please

Hmmmm...not sure it's from the 1800-1900 period, since the term Incabloc appears on the dial. IIRC, Incabloc was invented in the 1930's or thereabouts. Looks like it could be from the 50's or 60's.
    Maybe you could try posting your request in the Vintage and Pocket Watch forum? There are experts there who know an incredible amount about old watches like this. I'm sure they can help!

Awesome watch, btw!
    PM is not working for me. If you need to contact me, please email. Thanks! popokinui1(at)gmail(dot)com

Hi there and welcome.

I'd agree with Sherry that the watch looks to be 1950's or 1960's. As well as the Incabloc, it has 17 jewels which was not common until the 50's.

The 18 carat gold case was made in Switzerland. if I read the mark correctly (through the glare) as 218, it was made by:

218 J. Beiner, successeur de Gianoli

see http://www.thehourlounge.com/thread/...952_38952.html

which means nothing to me BTW.

Anyway, unfortunately the brand Zola is not listed in any of the usual places such as https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthr...14536#poststop or http://www.mikrolisk.de/show.php?site=280&letter=F

This is not unusual as literally hundreds of brands came and went back then. In addition many jewellery and department stores had, like now, watches made with their own branding. As a solid gold watch it is, I think, most likely to have been such a private label watch. It would have been very expensive when new.

To say more, we would need to see a picture of the movement - which could help with dating. However, trying to open a gold case without the correct tool and knowledge can lead to horrible scratches on any watch - but particularly on a gold one.

Sorry to be so vague - maybe someone else will know more.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you guys! and Marrick you are not vague because it is verry hard to tell things about this watch nobody i know, knows something about it. So i wil try it in the vintage & pocket watches forum. Thx

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

The whole thing looks like a ladies watch from the fifties or sixties. Since ladies watches from that period are practically non-collectible (nobody really wants them), it won't be worth any more than the gold content. The bracelet looks as if it isn't original (gap between lugs and bracelet proper) and if that isn't solid gold, reduce value accordingly. If it really is bigger than a ladies watch, it would be worth a little more than the gold content, but not much. Work it out for yourself what that is - we don't do precise valuations here.

Hartmut Richter

wow kind a disrespectful reply i dont care that you are a mod or something but do not reply like this annymore. And please if you are jalous yust say it. It is not wrong for sad people to be jalous because yest it is a very excutive watch.

Banned

Uh, I didn't see anything disrespectful. He was giving you a direct answer. I'd like to know what he has to be jealous about.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ulackfocus View Post
    Uh, I didn't see anything disrespectful. He was giving you a direct answer. I'd like to know what he has to be jealous about.
    +1, telling the truth can be hard (but not disrespectful) for those who listen and.......for those telling....
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

I am not sure what part of the post you found disrespectful (or perhaps all of it). I certainly did not mean to be so and regret that it was taken as such. The content of my message should be OK, if it was presented in an ambiguous way, I would like to apologize.

If your watch is a ladies' watch, then it is a fact of life that it will not be worth much as a watch. Gents don't collect them and ladies nowadays don't either because they either couldn't be bothered and wear more practical quartz watches or, if they are interested in mechanical watches, because they have long gone over to watches technically on a par with gents watches. No interest in the small but elegant two hands, no second hand, no date watch! Please don't blame me for that. As such, if it is not solid gold, it would have no cellectability value to anyone other than yourself. A family watch is always valued more highly than one from outside sources unless you are personally attached to it (e.g. it is your "grail" watch, you have spent your last penny on getting it or you have searched for years for it). As such, if you ever wanted to sell it, you would be surprised at how little is being offered.

The general tenor of all this is is that, although it is a good watch and would serve its wearer well if kept properly maintained, others would not be interested in it nearly as much as yourself. The best advice would therefore be to keep it in the family, cherish it and pass it on to future generations.

My last bit in the post is in line with the forum policies - we don't give a $ (or $ range) estimate of watches values. If you wanted one, either to see whether it might be worth getting some cash or for insurance purposes or similar, the best thing would be to work it out for yourself on the basis of my previous guidelines or to search eBay or similar for watches of that sort and keep a track record of what they go for. If you simply aren't interested in an estimate, forget I spoke - it was not meant to insult you.

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information