WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Some help the IWC Cal. 89

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  mkws 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I was going through some vintage cal 89 for sale and saw this recently serviced IWC cal 89. I'm pretty new to IWC and vintage watches and there are so many cal 89 version out there that made researching a tad bit more challenging.
I've found that the Serial Number on both cases and movement dates back to 1955. And that's all that i manage to find out.

I know that there are lots of gold cal 89 out there and very little SS ones and i can't seem to find a similar pair online. This one is with SS case, cream Dail, gold hands and marker. Does any one know which Ref. does it belong to or if it is authentic?

I was told the crown and buckle is not original, so does anyone here know if the crown does match with the original?

Lastly, i don't know if this is appropriate to ask, but how much would you guys pay for such a watch?

Thanks for all the help guys!

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Metal
Metal Silver
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Material property

See less See more
#3 ·
We can't give valuations here. But if you want to know if the price is a rip-off, just name it and ask if it's a rip-off...
The watch looks good to me. The crown doesn't matter, these things tend to get changed in hand-wound watches, so this might as well be the third one that it has.

Reactions: Border-Reiver
#4 ·
Thanks mkws! Sorry i'm still new here and didn't know the rules.
This is gonna be my first vintage and i have been reading about what to look for and most people mention about the dial that more or less affects the value the most, so im not sure if non-original crown would greatly affect the value of the watch.
Would $450 usd be a rip-off?

#5 ·
Doesn't sound like a rip-off to me. As to the watch itself, I'd still wait for the others to chime in. Googling out "iwc 89" will show specimens with the same dial and hands, and in a steel case alright.

#6 ·
I cannot attest to the authenticity of the watch but if it checks out that is a great deal (so great that it sets of some alarm bells). I own a gold Cal. 89 and spent a fair bit of time researching prices. Gold models regularly go in excess of $3000. Stainless Steel models are an undervalued bargain in my opinion and often sell between $1500-$2000.

#7 ·
The trouble with these is that "cal 89" is the reference, and they were made for (I think) over a decade. The Cal 89 was certainly used for longer than a decade, but I mean these classic three handers in specific. I have to believe this one is going to go for more than $450 though.

I'm in a similar boat to you as to finding out which cases and metals are appropriate to which year's of manufacture, but it's tricky. IWC hosts a forum on their site, but you have to do some digging.

#8 ·
The serials on the movement and on the case are very close, so about that I wouldn't worry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.