Some help needed: Vintage Longines Ultra Chron

Thread: Some help needed: Vintage Longines Ultra Chron

Some help needed: Vintage Longines Ultra Chron

I have this watch for almost 2 years now, it's a great little timepiece. But now Im wanting to know some more about. I read up on the high beat movement, here my question almost all of the other ones I've sent have markers for the hours and mine has arabic numerals. Thank you for any help
    Name:  IMG_20110206_071638.jpg
Views: 1248
Size:  58.8 KBName:  IMG_20110206_071706.jpg
Views: 1181
Size:  58.0 KB
    Last edited by fbd223; June 13th, 2012 at 00:10.
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 145.022-69 (Straight Writing), Tudor Heritage Black Bay Blue (eta), Bremont Alt 1-C,IWC Pilot Chronograph IW3777, Omega Speedmaster Automatic 3511.80.00, Christopher Ward C5 Aviator, Longines Ultra Chron Automatic

Re: Some help needed: Vintage Longines Ultra Chron

SEE POST BELOW... this post is just wrong

I have seen Longnes Ultra-Chron in two flavors. The best tasting is the one made in conjunction with Siemens that is their answer to the Beta-21 quartz movement. These are pretty rare, especially in running form.

The bad tasting is the one with the ESA quartz controlled balance wheel movement. Those movements are common and not near the find of the better tasting one. It is possible the ESA versions are replacements for dead Siemans-based movements when they failed. I know of no one who can fix the Siemans version... I suspect Longines gave up and just swapped movements.

Dial styles change all the time... The movement is what counts. You'll have to open yours to say which it is unless you have a timing machine or something like that (and if you do, you can probably open cases! )
    Last edited by Eeeb; June 13th, 2012 at 02:06.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

This one has a non hacking or hand winding automatic in it
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 145.022-69 (Straight Writing), Tudor Heritage Black Bay Blue (eta), Bremont Alt 1-C,IWC Pilot Chronograph IW3777, Omega Speedmaster Automatic 3511.80.00, Christopher Ward C5 Aviator, Longines Ultra Chron Automatic

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by fbd223 View Post
    This one has a non hacking or hand winding automatic in it
    Whoops!! Ignore my response. It was for the Ultra-Quartz not the Ultra-Chron!! Oh well....

The Ultra-Chron is a 36000 bph movement (10 ticks per second). This was an attempt to make more accurate watches. Such movements were popular in the late 60s. Only LVMH's Zenith group still makes them. AS, Longines, and a few others made them.

They originally 'stretched' the limits of lubrication and a special lube was recommended for them. But modern synthetics are more capable and so they can be normally serviced nowadays.

I always was amused at the lack of hacking on an accurate watch. Doesn't make sense to me.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Hi there,

with sweep second an date it should be this movement:
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Longines 431

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Nice watch with a great caliber. Congrats

This is mine

Thread Information