Some help with a vintage GP...

Thread: Some help with a vintage GP...

Some help with a vintage GP...

I have come over these vintage GP.....and now I am in the need of some help and information.

Is it a good day to day watch? What model is it? Movement?
    The dealer got no information on it, maybe she do not know...

Hope some here can help me out.

Cheers
    Vegarddino
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Some help with a vintage GP...

Hi there . Very , very nice GP chrono !! I love these mono pushers chronos. The dial seems to be refurbished but is in a great condition , although the crown could be not the original.

I think bears a Valjoux 22 (71) or similar , a great caliber !!!

Hope this help

Saludos mi amigo
    Last edited by Kingmatic; October 18th, 2008 at 02:34.

Hi -

There are a lot of things to think about when acquiring a vintage chronograph.

First and foremost, especially with the vintage movements, is the shape of the movement and when the last servicing was done.

Second, cosmetics are important for a day-to-day watch. If there is something that bothers you right now with how the watch looks, it will bug you even more every time you look at it.

Third, maintenance. Chronographs of this vintage do not enjoy the largely dust and moisture free environments that modern chronograph watches show. This means that even of the watch was well maintained, that it will require more care and attention than either a modern chronograph or a "normal" three-hand watch (hour, minute and second). This may be a disappointment, as wearing this kind of watch in anything but an office environment is, to a large extent, an invitation to dust and humidity to enter the watch, which, as your watchmaker can tell you, is an invitation to corrosion and damage to the watch.

Now the watch you show is cosmetically in excellent shape (as far as the dial is concerned, not sure about the case) and doesn't look to me like a redial, just in great shape.

The movement is another story entirely. It's not a Valjoux 72, but rather a Venus 150 or one of its derivatives. Many of these had shock protection (incabloc, usually), but this particular movement doesn't. Hmmm.

Significant markings on the watch show that there were at least one watchmaker involved who didn't care about the watch much; the column wheel and a number of subassemblies show corrosion marks (never, ever a good sign...); I can see that a number of screws were opened and closed with the wrong-size screwdriver; one of the retaining screws has also been replaced with a smaller-head screw and a washer, which, while functional, isn't that hard to have down correctly with the right size screw. The more brightly-colored spring over the left of the movement is a replacement (not that that's a problem...). Functionally, this may not mean anything, but the movement has indeed seen better days.

There is also no shock protection to the movement, which, given the age, is not surprising, but should be considered a negative when looking for a day-to-day watch that also should be fairly robust. Dropping this watch will do more damage to the movement than dropping a movement with shock protection.

Looking at the inside of the back, I see no less than 7 watchmaker's marks, which watchmakers make to let other watchmakers know who worked on it last and when this happened. This isn't unusual, given the age of the watch, but it does give you an indication that this is a watch that will probably need more maintenance than you may want to provide.

Of course, that's your decision. It is a lovely watch from one of the world's premier makers, but I'd want to acquire it from a watchmaker/seller who can support any repairs and who can stand behind the movement.

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Kingmatic View Post
    Hi there . Very , very nice GP chrono !! I love these mono pushers chronos. The dial seems to be refurbished but is in a great condition , although the crown could be not the original.

I think bears a Valjoux 22 (71) or similar , a great caliber !!!

Hope this help

Saludos mi amigo
    Thanks for the reply

Yes, the crown seems to be a new one. But, part from that, it looks good.

Cheers
    Vegard_dino

Hi JohnF

Thanks for a very good reply, with lots of good pont
    I am new to vintage, so thanks! Yes, I have seen some of the same things, regarding the use of wrong size screwdriver.
    As you say, not a good thing

A nice watch, BUt, I need to think more about it..If I do go for it, it will need help from me..and as you say, maybe more than I am willing to. Better to seek some more, and find one that is in better shape and also, and more a day to day watch, out side the office to

The one who sell it, can not help me repair or service it......and as you say, not the best for me...hmmmm

I will come back with infr if I buy it. But, think not. And, when I say that today..I will so next week to....mmmm..

THanks for helping a newbe with all my questions

Cheers
    Vegard_dino

I think that the movement is a Venus 175

Hi all

Thanks for all help in information.

Well, I have turned the watch down.
    Did not feel 100% with the seller. And, as one told me here, buy the seller,not the watch.

Thanks for that.

Cheers
    Vegard_dino

Thread Information