Some more details wanted about a pocket watch

Thread: Some more details wanted about a pocket watch

Some more details wanted about a pocket watch

LS,

Who can tell me some more details about the watch in the pictures? I would like to find out as much as possible about the year of manufacture, the type of movement, the maker, the brand and so on. On the case there is the brand name: Girard Quartier Brenets.

Also I have the following question: the balance wheel slows down or stops when I tilt the watch. What could be causing this? What is the best way to fix such a problem?

For me its quite a mysterious brand. Two mysteries:

1) A very similar watch can be seen here:
    http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/2445452

2) There was a famous Edouard Quartier-La Tente living in the Swiss in Neuchatel around the same time as the watches were made. He was a grand master of the freemasons and memeber of the Supreme Council of the Swiss. I wonder if he was related to the watchmaker Edouard Quartier?

Any information that can help to solve some of the questions, is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
    M.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by measwel; April 5th, 2008 at 21:49.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Some more details wanted about a pocket watch

The watch is set and wound with a key (to be inserted at the abck) so it's definitely from the 19th century. The style of dial seems to place it around the middle of that century. It seems to be a lever escapement, making it one of the better types of watch from its time, which is also demonstrated by the fact that it has a name on the dial. By the way, the name doesn't seem to be "Girard Quartier Brenets". If it doesn't match the name on the case, I would tend to accept the dial name as the "maker". In those days (as is the case even now for several watch makers), the movement, case , hands and dial were bought and assembled by an "etablisseur" who would put his name on the dial (unless he was doing it as a special order from someone). In any case, the most substantial bit of the watch is the movement and it will be difficult to identify the maker of that with certainty.

As for it slowing down when tilted (I presume you mean going from the horizontal to the vertical, not vice versa), that's a sure sign that friction is increasing. All watches do that but if it is quite noticeable, it is a sure sign that the watch is in desparate need of a service (cleaning and oiling).

Hartmut Richter

Dear Hartmut,

Thank You very much for your information. On the dial it says "Quartier Girard Brenets" in Russian Cyrillic. On the inner case it says: lever escapement clock, straight line, 15 gemstones. Please see the new pictures I posted above. Somebody once told me, that there is some year limit when they started to make coloured dialfaces first, but I dont remember the year. This could help to date the watch.

Yes, indeed the slowing down and even stopping happens when it is tilted from horizontal to vertical. I'm not sure it is just a lubrication problem, as the watch was cleaned and lubricated (but not fixed obviously) not so very long ago. The question would be then; what part is most likely malfunctioning?
    Also I would appreciate information on the movement and the question whether the watchmakers (Edouard Quartier) and Girard could be related to Girard Perregaux?

Greetings,
    M.
    Last edited by measwel; April 5th, 2008 at 21:51.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The movement is a Swiss LeCoultre bar style which was popular from approximately 1840 to 1885.
    The fact that it is a 15 jewel lever escapement indicates it was a high quality movement for its time.
    The case and dial have the same name so they are both original.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    The movement is a Swiss LeCoultre bar style which was popular from approximately 1840 to 1885.
    The fact that it is a 15 jewel lever escapement indicates it was a high quality movement for its time.
    The case and dial have the same name so they are both original.
    Do you perhaps know of an online resource where I can look for information on similar movements?

No I don't, sorry. I have some textbooks which I use for ID.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

The watch in the link has almost certainly the same "ebauche" (raw movement) as yours. If it was given to the tsar in 1896, either it had an older movement (and key set & wound watches were certainly not very up to date any more in 1896!) or your watch is later than we initially believed. Many Swiss watches made their way to Russia (cf. Henry Moser & Cie) and the movement is still very likely Swiss.

As for the name Girard being related to Girard-Perregaux, I would say "possible but not necessarily likely". There were probably more people involved in the Swiss watch industry than they had common names so that there are bound to be overlaps. Even in the case of family relationships, the companies they owned or were involved with need not have had any links (cf. the Schild family and the companies Adolf Schild and ETA/Eterna).

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    No I don't, sorry. I have some textbooks which I use for ID.
    Is Girard Quartier Brenets or Edouard Quartier in any of them?

Not as far as I could see. Already checked.

Thread Information