Some recent acquisitions: Bulova Oceanographer 333 ft and Lucerne Calendar Diver
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Some recent acquisitions: Bulova Oceanographer 333 ft and Lucerne Calendar Diver

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Some recent acquisitions: Bulova Oceanographer 333 ft and Lucerne Calendar Diver

Made some recent buys at the bay, and they finally arrived this week. The first is a Bulova Oceaographer diver (333 feet -- not a Snorkel) from the 70s. About 37mm across, 41mm lug to lug. The great part about this was that when I looked up the date code, it corresponded to my birth year. So this is now my first birth year watch, inadvertently. The movement inside looks clean, a Bulova Japanese movement. My only concern is that when I wind, it doesn't quite feel like my other watches. I can tell if it's a stiffness or that I don't hear or "feel" the clicking of wheels through the crown like I do when I wind some other watches. Might you know what the cause of this could be or is it normal? Should I be more concerned?
    Name:  Bulova1.jpg
Views: 2676
Size:  220.3 KB
    Note the original Bulova strap that came with it. It is cool, but my how small old-time wrists were. I've since fitted it with a longer vintage bracelet, but not a Bulova one, which would have been more ideal, but the price tag on an NOS would probably have been as much as the watch.
    Name:  Bulova2.jpg
Views: 1914
Size:  172.9 KB

The second watch is a Lucerne diver calendar, about 36mm across by 45mm. I bought this basically because I like the design of the dial. The plastic bezel is in decent shape, too. It was tricky opening up the case back because it seemed like it needed a special opener, but it was really an easy snap off with my watch knife opener. The movement side looks to be a 1-Jewel movement, probably a pin lever of some sort. I really admire the simplicity of it all. An estimated 40 years later, the movement appears to be going strong. It says 5ATM tested, which is nothing, but I wouldn't take a swim with it, considering the case back is not really a screwback (I did apply some silicon grease to the case gasket, just to be safe). It says T next to Swiss Made on the dial so I assume it has tritium, which is glowing nicely. (I had thought tritium only had a half-life of 12 years or so, is it just the other phosphofluorescent paint?)

Name:  Lucerne1.jpg
Views: 1638
Size:  197.2 KB
    Name:  Lucerne2.jpg
Views: 1563
Size:  180.8 KB
    Last month, I had also bought a similar looking Lucerne, although this one is much smaller at 30mm. Might keep it, so as to have a his/hers pair, potentially. Does it look like it is missing a bezel? Seems like finding a replacement would be pretty hard.
    Name:  Lucerne3.jpg
Views: 1601
Size:  208.7 KB

Let me know of any thoughts you guys might have. Hope you like the pics, and thanks in advance.
    Last edited by spacetimefabric; April 15th, 2012 at 17:52.
    kazrich and howards4th like this.
    Collection
    Seiko Mods - Vintage Omegas - Chinese/Indian/Russian Watches.

Re: Some recent acquisitions: Bulova Oceanographer 333 ft and Lucerne Calendar Diver

Oh man..great watches!!!!!!!!!!!! Love the Bulova!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Some recent acquisitions: Bulova Oceanographer 333 ft and Lucerne Calendar Diver

Nice Lucerne and wonderful Bulova. Congrats

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

congrats two great looking vintage divers esp like the bulova

What year is the Bulova? I didn't think they started using japanese movements until they were bought by Lowes (although that was 1979, so there's a window there...)
    Popoki Nui likes this.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

The date code says mid 70s (not being specific bc I'm paranoid about personal info on the interwebs), definitely before 1979. The date codes on the movement and the case back are the same, so am not sure. I read that they had a partnership with Citizen preceding Lowes, but not clear is this also included movements beyond Accutron.
    Collection

Two very cool vintage watches!! Congrats on your purchases and thanks for sharing them.

~Sherry.
    PM is not working for me. If you need to contact me, please email. Thanks! popokinui1(at)gmail(dot)com

Nice old divers

Quote Originally Posted by spacetimefabric View Post
    The date code says mid 70s (not being specific bc I'm paranoid about personal info on the interwebs), definitely before 1979.
    Hmm ... I think that's going way past personal info and paranoia.

Hi spacetimefabric,

Quote Originally Posted by spacetimefabric View Post
    I read that they had a partnership with Citizen preceding Lowes
    Likely right, this Citizen 241 from a Caravelle watch is from 1970:
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Bulova 11DP (Citizen 0241)

Regards, Roland Ranfft

[QUOTE=Taswell;4937006

Hmm ... I think that's going way past personal info and paranoia.[/QUOTE]

Ha, I know. Just figured one can't be too careful these days, with this being a birth year watch.

Roland: Thanks for the info. Yep, looks like the movement, but mine looks gold-plated for whatever reason.

I'm still a bit worried about the somewhat stiff winding on the Bulova. Not sure if it's as easy a fix as going in there and quickly oiling some pivots without completely disassembling things (I have been having a horribly hard time reassembling the power train and getting the pivots to line up for some other movements that I'm using for practice, so am not ready for a complete disassembly with a running good watch).
    Collection

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information