Something different this time - Kody - warning Photo Heavy!
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Something different this time - Kody - warning Photo Heavy!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool Something different this time - Kody - warning Photo Heavy!

This morning's post delivery finally contained my Kody. You may recall Kody as the parent company of the VOG I got hold of a short while ago.

Kody was founded in 1922 by a M. Franck Allot in Besançon, and soon opened offices in Paris before finally moving completely to rue de Temple in Paris after WW11, where they are to this day. During the 1950's Kody continued to be a very upmarket Parisian brand, and they are still proud to mention that in 1954 Kody, along with the Union of French Artists, organised an official reception at which the lottery prize was a solid gold Kody valued at a million (old) French Francs. By the end of the 1960's Franck Allot's son Donald was running the company, and with the advent of the quartz revolution he positioned Kody to produce high cost mechanical gold watches. In 1998 Donald Allot sold Kody to one Jean de Laubret, to run alongside his two other high end brands, Rialto and Claude Meylan. To quote Kody verbatim
    "Kody continues to serve the retailers by allying it’s acumen with the modernity of its products." Kody was very active in promoting it's product from its very inception, and this practise can be seen to be ongoing in the 1960's as this advert, featuring stars of the Moulin Rouge, shows:

My Kody, which is as it arrived, is a first for me, a "diver" style from the late 1960's/early 1970's.The non rotating bezel shows wear, probably from being under a shirt cuff for most of its working life, and then are a few faint scratches to the chrome to be polished out.

This version runs a Lorsa P75A, with quick adjust date:

There was also a sub second version in a smaller case, like this one currently on French fleabay, which used a Lorsa 238A of similar vintage

On my scrawny wrist the Kody looks huge, but hopefully I'll get used to it

As usual, thanks again for getting this far if you did, and I'll leave you with a Kody advert suggesting you purchase one as a gift for your child's first communion!

Last edited by john87300; June 1st, 2012 at 15:57. Reason: posted before finishing!
    Marrick and joeuk like this.
    John
    Watch Website: www.chambresdebelair.com/watches.html last update 07/11/2012

Re: Something different this time - Kody - warning Photo Heavy!

a nice bit of history there , thanks for sharing!

Very nice John,

Dont think I have seen a watch stating "100% waterproof".... Im sure this would have got complaints!

Also nice to see the funky hands! Are they original to the watch? I only say that as the lume on the dial has aged differently to the hands?

Cheers,

Marc
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Congrats John on another great find.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparcster View Post
    Very nice John,

Dont think I have seen a watch stating "100% waterproof".... Im sure this would have got complaints!

Also nice to see the funky hands! Are they original to the watch? I only say that as the lume on the dial has aged differently to the hands?

Cheers,

Marc
    Hi Marc

I reckon that Kody must have been betting that their mainly Parisian clients wouldn't be wearing it when swimming in the Seine or even when having a shower! It was quite an extraordinary claim for a watch with just the most basic protection.

I think the hands are more than likely the originals, if you see the sub-second one, which is said to be NOS, it looks like the lume has aged differently too.

John
    Last edited by john87300; June 3rd, 2012 at 13:15.
    John

Hi John!

Nice DiaStar-shaped diver!
    And a nice info again. What about the idea t present all your articles about the French watch industry and it´s brands on a own HP? Would be a particular source of information for all those being interested in French watches and a HP can be done very easily and free of cost these days.
    Best regards, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mike184 View Post
    Hi John!

Nice DiaStar-shaped diver!
    And a nice info again. What about the idea t present all your articles about the French watch industry and it´s brands on a own HP? Would be a particular source of information for all those being interested in French watches and a HP can be done very easily and free of cost these days.
    If you think it might be of interest to people then I'll happily write a new page or three with the articles and put it seperately with the website I did for Madame's Chambres d'Hotes and include a link to it with my signature.
    mike184 likes this.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by john87300 View Post
    If you think it might be of interest to people then I'll happily write a new page or three with the articles and put it seperately with the website I did for Madame's Chambres d'Hotes and include a link to it with my signature.
    I´m sure it is of interest, if I see the comments about your threads. And itis the same situation with the French watches today like it had been with Rado before I started with my HP some years ago - there´s nothing to find in the www.
    Best regards, Mike

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

I agree. Zero information out there about French watches - at least in the English part of the internet. And I think you need only look at the websites of Mike and trim to see how useful they have been to people.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    I agree. Zero information out there about French watches - at least in the English part of the internet. And I think you need only look at the websites of Mike and trim to see how useful they have been to people.
    Thanx - not to forget your own one.
    Last edited by mike184; June 4th, 2012 at 00:55.
    Best regards, Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information